Bibliography Internships at African Academy Of Sciences, Kenya
Vacancy Number AAS/Intern/10/08/2016-1
Department Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA)
The AAS is a pan African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science technology and innovation.
Bibliography Internship Position Overview
- The intern will be responsible for creating a bibliography that will be the basis of literature review for publications concerning development and health challenges in Africa. The focus of the literature review will be topics based on:
- Results of an online survey on priority areas for Africa around the SDGs that was sent out to researchers and thought partners working globally and in Africa
- Discussions held at the Grand Challenges Africa Community meeting held on February 24-26 2016 in Nairobi.
- The goal of this literature review is to assemble and classify all of the existing evidence for Grand Challenges Africa for the purposes of illustrating theoretically and substantively where our we should focus our programme.
Bibliography Internship Roles and Responsibilities
- Create a database of literature, tagged by pertinent variables (e.g. health target, population, etc.).
- Create a list of the titles of journals that contained this research (and other relevant journals) to locate appropriate publication venues for our work.
- Create complete list of search terms used and how they changed through the project (by week or by research session)
- Create an excel spreadsheet with most relevant papers classified by key results, population etc.
- Write summaries of the research to use in our publication.
- Consolidate the literature review with the GCA report and survey results.
Education / Experience for Bibliography Internship
- A Bachelor’s degree in a health or biomedical discipline. A Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of the bibliographic program Zotero or willingness to learn
- Knowledge of online journal/citation databases
- Evidence of a written research project.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Effective reporting skills
- Excellent command of the English language both written and spoken
- Ability to work under pressure.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit:
- An application letter that includes how the candidate’s previous experience matches the requirements of the position
- A completed job application form
- An updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications
- Recommendation letters from a previous supervisor.