Job Title: Biostatistician
Organisation: Ministry of Health
Funding Source: Global Fund
Reports to: Assistant Commissioner Health Services/Resource Centre (ACHS/RC)
The Government of the Republic of Uganda under the Ministry of Health has received funding from the Global Fund to Fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, to support among other things recruitment of key staff to assist in improvement of the Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) grant performance. The goals of the Health Systems Strengthening grant are to:
• Strengthen the Procurement and Supply Management (PSM) system
• Support improvements in the Management Information Systems and Monitoring and
• Support community involvement in the delivery of health services
Additionally, the National TB and Leprosy Program (NTLP) is under the department of the National Disease Control (NDC) in the Ministry of Health. NTLP’s overall functions are to establish country wide quality diagnosis and treatment services for TB and Leprosy and to coordinate the implementation of TB and Leprosy control activities. Under the National Program is a National TB Reference Laboratory whose functions are; to provide technical guidance to all TB diagnostic facilities and standardization of Laboratory TB and Leprosy provide technical supervision and training of laboratory staff on TB and Leprosy Diagnosis Techniques, Confirmation of drug resistant TB and provide follow up culture and drug susceptible tests as a national referral facility. It also supports coordinated drug resistant TB surveillance and technical support roll out of new laboratory technologies and support their uptake and utilization. It also carries out operational research activities.
Job Summary: The Biostatistician will take overall responsibility of the supervision and guidance of ACHS/RC. The Biostatistician will be responsible for providing day-to-day technical assistance to the RC division in implementing and monitoring the quality and functionality of national health information systems, provision of data for the annual health sector report, preparing work plans for the Resource Centre. This will include developing and implementing regular data validation and quality assessments activities. Furthermore, the Biostatistician will play a pivotal role in ensuring that the Resource centre statistical activities are well documented and reported in a results-based manner. The Biostatistician will work closely with other Departmental/Technical Program Statisticians along with RPMTs and District staff to ensure statistics requirements are fulfilled and the statistics Frameworks are reported on timely and are complete.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support the Resource Centre Division;
• Actively participate in ensuring that the national health data collection tools are updated and integrated
• Oversee the design and dissemination of data collection tools for various activities
• Participate in ensuring coordination of the customization of data sets into the electronic systems
• Participate in the coordination of HMIS Stakeholders including implementing Partners involved in the delivery of information services
• Ensure regular feedback to data producers and other stakeholders
• Maintain updated and relevant dashboards and other electronic data sharing mechanisms
• Follow-up various action centers as proof of use of data for action
• Take part in the development of a performance score card for Implementing Partners, MoH Technical Programs and Local Governments in as far the national health information system is concerned
• Manages the updating of Indicator Meta Data Dictionary and dissemination for the Ministry of Health Data
• Technically support data quality assessments, demand and use at all levels
• Strengthen data management at all levels (timely, reliable and complete data sets)
• Actively participate in support supervision and training of districts health workers
• Provides accurate and timely answers to routine questions from clients
• Produce all materials for dissemination for scrutinizing by ACHS/RC before uploading on the MOH Website through the Resource Centre Link: www.health. go.ug/HMIS. Materials include among others: Standard Operating Procedures for handling HMIS data, Statistical Abstracts, Indicator Manuals
• Carry out appropriate statistical analysis and present summary data in logical manner on quarterly and annual basis
• Provide support supervision
•Conduct quarterly data validation and quality assessments activities
• Production of outputs from the DHIS2 like the production of the Annual Health Sector Performance Reports, Production of the Annual MOH Statistical Abstracts, Monthly HMIS Brochures
2. Provide the Division with technical and strategic oversight for GF implementation workplan: Work with the FCO, PD and HCSS coordinator to ensure proper interpretation of the grant letters and fund release budgets in coming up with the in-country grant implementation work plans; this includes proper interpretation of the GF Budgets through quality assurance of requisitions to prevent risky consequences, track fund absorption (through monitoring absorption at the SDAs) and anticipate tides ahead and advise on speed of implementation.
• Conduct evaluation of the eHMIS implementation on an annual basis
• Support the reporting to the Global Fund HCSS Grant implementation activities
• Regularly report on progress both qualitatively and quantitatively according to the annual work plans and log frame focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Work collaboratively with MoH/RC responsible officers on the preparation of M&E plans at the field level and recommend corrective action, if any, to streamline the process
• Ensure the timely submission of required reports by Ministry of Health Resource Centre under the overall guidance of the ACHS/RC
• Support the identification and documentation of links, synergies, lessons learnt and best practices that can be useful in the institutional learning process and increasing the results of the project
• Support and work with other program Information specialists to conduct the HMIS systems strengthening review in collaboration with other partners such as Academia, WHO and other key stakeholders. This will be conducted using the WHO Global Survey tool on eHealth
3. Supports efforts to strengthen the national HMIS system and ensure one information and M & E Plan at all levels:
• Support the continuous monitoring, review and evaluation of HMIS programs and make field visits together to conduct qualitative and quantitative checks to obtain feedback
• Ensure the production of data utilized for MoHMid-term, quarterly and end of year annual performance reviews
• Make timely submission of RC reports and assists with data entry, and the preparation of charts, graphs, and progress reports.
• Conduct impact evaluation of DHIS2 implementation at national and district level in collaboration with partner arrangements with support from other in country partners
• Establish and maintain regular dialogue with key national partners involved in HMIS, including surveys and data collection
• Coordinates regular updating of mapping of GF support to national HMIS
• Ensures Program knowledge management and capacity development on results- based management:
• Responsible for the preparation of quarterly and annual programmatic progress updates on program based on GF requirements
• Ensures training and other capacity development initiatives to strengthen program and district capacity in results-based management, monitoring and evaluation
• Actively facilitates strategic information sharing across departments, sub national levels and sectors related to GF support
• Ensures development and updating of databases with pertinent program data and reports, evaluations, etc.
• Perform other duties assigned by the Assistant Commissioner Health Services/ RC
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant must hold a Master’s Degree in Biostatistics or in a related field from a recognized University/Institution
• A minimum of ten years of previous working experience in manipulating large databases in the health Sector
• Broad knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of the functioning of the decentralized health service delivery system; the effects of day to day decisions on the functionality of the health systems at all levels, as well as use of system approaches in “causality and attribution” of performance situations
• Previous experience in results-based programme management and complex level health information systems
• Working knowledge of GF standards for results-based management and performance based reporting
• Prior exposure and experience in supporting capacity development of national HMIS systems, including surveys
• Working knowledge and training in DHIS2 including use of relevant software applications statistical or otherwise.
• A good mastery of leadership, managing for results, mentoring and coaching
• Advanced statistical skills
• Broad knowledge of the national Health Information Management Systems , DHIS2 and mTRAC
• Excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills
• Conversant with commonly used statistical Packages
• Familiarity of a wide range of statistical methods for example, multivariate analysis, regression analysis, Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis, time series analysis, principal component analysis
• Skills in Project management;
• Knowledge in policy management
• Computer literate: statistical package (knowledge of MS Excel/Access, EPI Info and data analysis packages)
• Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self-management
• Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
• Design and management of evaluation processes
• Knowledge and skills in Survey design and implementation
• Broad understanding of gender considerations
• Logic modelling/logical framework analysis
• Real-time, utilization-focused, joint, summative and formative evaluation
• Quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis
• Participatory approaches.
• Interpersonal skills:
o Ability to exercise diplomatic and prudent judgement on sensitive issues.
o Ability to gain agreement and commitment from others through negotiation.
o Ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
o Ability to create an environment for open communication within and across organizational boundaries and to foster team spirit.
• Supervisory skills: Staff supervision: Ability to supervise staff in an impartial manner, to provide clear direction and to engage them in operational planning, to motivate them, to deal with possible conflicts, to provide regular and effective feedback and to coach them with a view to improving their performance.
• Result-oriented attitude: Ability to link strategic goals and to set realistic targets, while ensuring the availability of resources.
• Analytical and strategic thinking skills:
• Ability to develop and to apply an analytical approach and to adopt a strategy: perspective, to convert organizational objectives and priorities into strategy, action plans, to step back from operational issues and focus on the long-term direction of the team and to align plans accordingly.
• Knowledge management:
• Ability to create knowledge and information sharing conditions, to identify critical areas and develop methods for the management, sharing and preservation of knowledge in these areas and to encourage staff to participate in cross-training and knowledge-sharing activities.
• Demonstrated experience in manipulating large databases in the health sector
• Communication skills: Ability to deliver verbal and written information in a clear and concise manner
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications addressed to the Permanent Secretary, MOH to the address below;
Ministry of Health,
Plot 6 Lourdel Road, Room D213, Block D, 2nd Floor.
P.O. Box 7272, Kampala,