We are hiring a Livelihoods and Markets Technical Lead!
BOMA implements a high-impact data driven poverty graduation program (REAP) for women in the drought- threatened arid lands of Northern Kenya.
We put ultra-poor women at the centre of our work by helping them build a pathway out of extreme poverty. REAP addresses three elements that contribute to the cycle of aid dependency in the arid lands of Africa: low incomes, inconsistent cash flows and inadequate financial services for poor rural women.
We help them to start small businesses in their rural communities, so they can pay for food, school fees and medical care for their families.
Profits from each REAP business provides a diversified
income, while BOMA savings associations help women to manage cash flow (for daily needs), plan for future expenses (such as school fees and medical care), and respond to shocks (such as drought or family emergencies).
Our team of 56 works with 14,482 women so far and have a goal to reach 1 million women across East Africa. As we plan to scale our impact to serve more regions in Northern Kenya and the rest of East Africa, we seek a self driven passionate individual to join our growing team.
About the role
You will play a key role in growing and creating innovative ways to increase the value and impact of our REAP program. You will play a key role in driving the creation of higher value and sustainable businesses for the women entrepreneurs participating in REAP, constantly seeking and exploring new market opportunities and building partnerships to integrate these businesses into local and national value chains.
You will also provide support, guidance and training to BOMA program managers in Marsabit, Samburu, Wajir, Turkana and other counties to gather knowledge and support seamless program evolution.
Your responsibilities will include
Livelihoods programs innovation
- Conduct market analysis in the communities we work with and recommend economically viable and profitable arid-land livelihood activities
- Identify viable market opportunities and value chain connections and initiate partnerships that will affect a large number of our beneficiaries (BOMA participants and groups) Establish win-win partnerships with organizations that can provide opportunity to Examples could include micro-franchising, solar, cook stove and health product companies and NGOs and other innovative inclusive business models
- Work in close collaboration with BOMA research teams to support strategic research and thought leadership pieces that raise BOMAs profile among donors and the graduation
- Work closely with BOMA field staff to improve the outcomes of the REAP program, and in particular the use of mobile banking platforms, liquidity issues, and
links between livelihoods, market development and savings.
- Develop materials and train BOMA staff and mentors in business skills, financial and marketing, enabling them to train beneficiary households and
- Liaise with field and HQ to ensure quality programming, appropriate documentation, and clear information
- Provide technical support, guidance and training to program staff to understand technical requirements and best practice in market-linked pastoralist and agro-pastoralist
- Assist with the implementation of appropriate monitoring
systems and provide requested analysis and reports on program activities.
- Link BOMA exiting Savings Groups to other the formal financial sector and other sources of funding for their
- Manage our collaboration with Kenya Market Trust and other organizations providing livestock aggregation for BOMA
Leadership and Strategy:
- Participate in the development and/or review of new initiatives, operating plans and strategic
- Participate in overall program level strategic planning and assist the Program Director with preparation and implementation of the annual planning
- As the program scales, you will be expected to lead the expansions in the same capacity to new
Who we are looking for
- You are passionate and committed to rural development and economic empowerment
- You approach your tasks and life in general innovatively
- You have proven practical experience of 5 + years in at least one of the following: cash based interventions, value chain creation, agriculture and livestock value chain, small business / micro-credit interventions; market analysis, business , mobile banking and
- You can multitask in ambiguous environments can deliver results while working independently
- You are comfortable spending 60% of your time in rural areas in Northern Kenya with simple accommodation and food options
- You are a natural in creating and developing sustainable relationships with diverse stakeholders
- You adapt quickly to changing environments
- You thrive in highly demanding environments
- You are self driven and with a record of solutions created through your highly initiative personality
- You have an open mind and are sympathetic about the economic and social situation of Northern Kenya
- You posses community development skills including participatory community assessment and planning techniques, with skills in community level livelihoods capacity building
- You have experience in the research, design, monitoring and evaluation of programs, in particular livelihoods market analysis preferred
- You have highly sensitive to cultural differences and have proven ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
- You have strong verbal and written communications
- You have strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- You easily navigate IT tools such as MS office, Google drive etc
You have the cultural fit to work with BOMA Project if:
- You are passionate and deeply committed to change in rural Kenya
- You embrace and are comfortable working and living in highly changing environments
- Thinking outside-the-box is your natural trait
- You take initiative in driving your own learning and growth
- You are excited about working in multicultural team environments
- Positivity and enthusiasm are your trademark
Why work with us?
- Learn and grow with All members of staff are expected to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit the BOMA Project as well as themselves.
- Join an entrepreneurial and committed team which is moving the needle on livelihoods for ultra-poor communities”
- An opportunity to influence and contribute to BOMA project as we grow and take on new challenges and regions
- Be part of changing lives and driving astounding impact
- Join a cohesive and fun-loving team!
- We love adventures and enjoy spending time with our amazing communities! Working with us will give you endless such opportunities
The position will be based initially Nanyuki and will require 40-60% time travel to field sites.
Want to apply?
- First, read this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Fill out the application form under this link http://bit.ly/JoinBOMAteam
- Send your CV in PDF format to [email protected] with the subject line ” BOMA Project Role”
- Deadline for this application is 26th July 2017. If the role is not filled by then, we will still accept and review applications on a rolling
Not for you?
- Please forward the role to your networks who may find it interesting!
Selection process in collaboration with