Have you ever wondered…?
- Why people can buy a Coke or a fake DVD on every corner of the street in low- income markets but not a nutritious food product?
- Why African and Asian markets seem chaotic but at the same time adhere to strict rules?
- Why some products that aim to improve the lives of low-income consumers fail miserably?
- Why people in low-income markets adopt certain behaviors although they seem very irrational?
- Why small retailers often sell the exact same products as their neighbors?
If these questions fascinate you as much as they fascinate us, you might be the right candidate for this vacancy. At BoP Inc, you will have the opportunity to do good by doing what you do best. We take a private sector approach to tackling poverty by providing business development support to local organizations or multinationals involved in the creation of solutions for low-income groups (BoP). BoP Inc works with a diverse team of producers, consumers and entrepreneurs to gather key insights on Base of the Pyramid markets, and support the growth of businesses in this sector through the development of innovative marketing and distribution strategies.
- Manage business development projects with strong involvement of private sector parties (local or MNC).
- Inspire, facilitate or support the co-creation workshops aimed at developing new marketing and business development strategies with private sector parties.
- Manage and guide the implementation of new business development strategies by working with local partners and stakeholders.
- Report on the latest innovations and technologies around business development, marketing and distribution in low-income markets.
- Manage the procurement of innovative market research and marketing methodologies.
- Support the realization of business development in both the private and public sector.
- An experienced marketing and business development professional with at least 5 years work experience. Experience with low income markets will be an added advantage.
- Entrepreneurial, having run/managed businesses before, or worked closely with companies either as a consultant or in the decision making unit.
- Independent and a quick thinker, with the ability to tightly manage a project while creating space for creative, refreshing and out-of-the-box ideas.
- Agile and able to quickly develop solutions to the challenges associated with project delivery.
- A strong facilitator, with experience working with interdisciplinary teams from different countries and cultures.
- Able to facilitate dialogue between team members and clients.
- First-hand experience that successful strategies are useless on paper, but need to be tested, iterated and scaled in the field.
- Experience in marketing and selling products or services. Experience with low income consumers will be added advantage.
- Strong ability to deal with setbacks and delays with the persistency and optimism to make real difference.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills to also support the business development for BoP Inc as an organization.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in Swahili and English. A third language (Portuguese, Dutch, and French) is a plus.
- No fear of pressure cooker timelines, planes and remote locations.
- A motivated, multidisciplinary and culturally diverse team of professionals.
- A nurturing and international environment for new ideas and innovations.
- Frequent travel to clients, projects and the markets where our work matters.
- Market-based local salary.
- An inspiring work space in Nairobi.
To apply for the role send your CV and Cover letter to: [email protected]