Reporting to the Chief Underwriting Manager, the Underwriting Manager will be responsible for developing and managing underwriting and reinsurance activities in accordance with the company’s underwriting and reinsurance policy and standards so as to meet and exceed customers and shareholders’ expectations within the Britam General Insurance Company Limited.
- Manage staff and resources, provide direction, set goals and ensure the department goals are attained.
- Overseeing the activities of underwriting and reinsurance in the company.
- Vetting all risks to ensure that only quality business is accepted into the company at acceptable rates to ensure profitability and achievement of the set loss ratio targets.
- Implementing the underwriting strategy, philosophy, policies and procedures.
- Ensure achievement of the agreed renewals retention targets.
- Ensuring that the risks undertaken by the company are adequately covered through reinsurance programmes.
- To manage relationships with clients, intermediaries and service providers to ensure agreed service level agreements are achieved and goodwill with all stakeholders is maintained.
- Supervision, appraisal, training and development of staff in the department.
- Ensuring timely preparation of reports.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Qualifications & Experience;
- Bachelor’s Degree (insurance option preferred);
- Master’s degree will be an added advantage;
- Professional qualification in Insurance (ACII or FLMI);
- At least eight (8) years underwriting insurance work experience with at least three (3) years in supervisory level;
- Dynamic, mature and self-driven leader;
- Mentor, coach, manager who will deliver results.
- Competencies and Requirements;
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good report writing skills
- Good underwriting/technical skills
- Well versed with operations
- Good leadership and interpersonal skills
- Optimal reinsurance arrangements
- Effective operations
- Maintain high underwriting standards.
- Ensure high Renewal Retention rate.
- Quality of business or underwriting results and loss ratio; and
- Effective underwriting and reinsurance policies and procedures.
Friday, June 3, 2016