The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of Job
Working to support the Director of Corporate Services, and the High Commissioner as Senior Budget Holder, by providing compliant and auditable Procurement functions across the BHC and in compliance with UK Government procurement policies.
Manage relationships with key contractors, undertaking timely tendering exercises, drafting of specifications and improving BHC internal procurement functions.
On compliance to ensure that the BHC meets all internal reporting standards especially around financial management, procurement, health and safety and environmental considerations.
Responsibilities for the Procurement Manager Job
- Managing and controlling all the BHC’s external suppliers with particular emphasis on service and maintenance contracts, furniture, transport and building supplies.
- Ensure tender exercises undertaken in a timely and professional manner, to our policy/standards and in compliance with Kenyan law.
- Establish formal feedback mechanisms for each contract so British High Commission staff can share ownership and report issues.
- Identify new suppliers, verify they are a legitimate business and comply with all local laws and who can meet our quality standards and provide value for money.
- Assist the DCS to manage the Mission’s supplier database.
- Work with all teams to increase usage of government procurement card spend.
- Identify weaknesses in the current procurement management and procedures, tackle issues on the basis of risk, budget and develop plans to rectify.
- Review current purchasing function and skills base, identify training needs, implement improvements and drive down costs.
- Review options for out-sourcing functions currently done in house.
- Work closely with the Procurement Hub in Pretoria to ensure accurate reporting and compliance
- Conduct periodic internal reviews to ensure UK Government compliance procedures are followed
- Conduct or direct the internal investigation of compliance issues
- Identify compliance issues that require follow-up.
- Disseminate Best Practice including written policies and procedures related to compliance.
- Provide training to all teams on the above annually.
- Undertake mystery shopper exercises
- Oversee the annual internal-audit check of systems and the Annual Compliance Certificate.
- Directly line managing one staff member
- Essential qualifications and experience
- Procurement and Compliance experience;
- Extensive experience of running large and complex tenders;
Qualifications for the Procurement Manager Job
- Relevant post-graduate or professional qualification (e.g. holds or studying towards CIPS Level 4 or higher)
- A minimum of 1-2 years experience of sourcing goods, services and works.
- Demonstrated project management experience from conception to delivery ideally within a procurement context
- Extensive experience of developing good working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels
- High level of proficiency in MS Office particularly MS Excel, would be advantageous.
- Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service
Application deadline: 13 February 2017
Starting salary: KES 220,720 gross
Start Date 1 April 2017
How To Apply