Our client is a British Preparatory School located in Nairobi, Kenya for children aged three to thirteen years of all nationalities and backgrounds.
They are seeking to recruit suitably qualified candidates for the following positionTitle: Geography Master / Head of Sport
Job Ref.: CAS-267641
As the successful candidate, you would be expected to teach British curriculum Geography from Years 3 to 8 and also to oversee PE and Games.
The School: The institution is a traditional British preparatory school located in Kilimani. One of the oldest prep schools in Kenya, the school is run by the same family that founded it in 1950.
The school, which remains faithful to the strong Christian values on which it was established, comprises 160 boys and girls and is set on small but attractive grounds close to the centre of the city. There is an attached pre-prep unit with a further 100 children.The school aims to provide reasonably-priced schooling to parents who might otherwise be unable to afford a prep school education. The school has a family atmosphere, and its low-slung buildings and peaceful gardens serve as a haven from the city’s bustle.
All pupils at the school, a day-school, are expected to sit the Common Entrance examination in Year Eight before proceeding to secondary schools in Kenya or Britain.
Children are encouraged to participate fully in all aspects of school life, including sport and extra-curricular activities, and members of staff are expected to share in and foster this enthusiasm.
There is a strong emphasis on music at the school. Teachers should demonstrate commitment to the Christian ethos of the school. Members of staff who are not Christian should have a sound and empathetic understanding of and appreciation for the Christian faith.
That said, freedom of conscience is vigorously fostered at the school, and no teacher or pupil is forced to subscribe to religious beliefs he or she does not share.Job Description:
As the successful candidate, you would be expected to teach British curriculum Geography from Years 3 to 8 and also to oversee PE and Games across the school.
You would supervise our team of part-time sports’ coaches, work alongside our head of girls’ sport and other teachers involved in supervising, and take charge of the sports’ timetable.
You would organise fixtures with other international schools for all our teams and take a full role in organising such tournaments that we may be required to host.
You would also organise our annual swimming gala.
In addition, you would also be expected to supervise activity trips that would require a sacrifice of some weekends and holiday time.
These include an annual assault on Mt. Kenya, a week-long outward bound trip and various other up-country expeditions.
You must therefore be very fit, enthusiastic and dynamic.Requirements:
- Experience of teaching in a British curriculum school is preferred, as is experience in coaching at least two of the following: cricket, hockey, football, athletics, rugby.
- Familiarity with the Common Entrance syllabus would be an advantage, but not a prerequisite.
- The position would suit a self-reliant candidate who subscribes to traditional values and would appreciate a school that, by modern standards, is proudly idiosyncratic.
Remuneration: The position attracts a competitive pay package, and benefits include a housing allowance, pension and full health insurance.
How to Apply
- If you meet the above criteria, send your CV and a cover letter that clearly explains your suitability for the role; with 3 referees to [email protected] (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR + JOB REF)
- If you are not interested in this opportunity today, please refer any friend or colleague you know that might suit the required profile. Applications NOT MEETING minimum requirements will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted NOTE: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews