The Capital Markets Authority is a statutory agency charged with the responsibility of regulating and developing an efficient capital market in Kenya.
The Authority invites applications from dynamic, goal – oriented, high performers, with strong problem – solving skills, for the following position:
Manager Derivatives – Derivatives Unit
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the selected candidate will provide strategic direction on and coordinate regulatory oversight and development of the Derivatives market in Kenya including but not limited to: Derivatives trading, clearing and settlement platforms; derivatives market intermediaries; and their clients.
The key requirements of this job are as follows:
- Providing strategic direction to the Derivatives Unit’s function heads in derivatives contract development
- Providing strategic direction in market research; licensing, inspection, audit & compliance; price & market surveillance; risk analysis and stress testing;
- Proactively engaging internal and external stakeholders at all levels to build consensus and support for the growth of a vibrant derivatives market in Kenya;
- Coordinating with the Director of Market Operations on overall industry risk management and mitigation in the Derivatives market; and
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team on technology development and implementation.
- Preparation of the annual budget for the unit and coordinating its implementation
- Providing leadership to the unit team
- Performing other duties as assigned from time to time
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- A Master Degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Business Law or other relevant field.
- Professional qualification (Chartered Accountancy, CPA or equivalent) and membership to relevant professional body added advantage
- Minimum of seven (7) years relevant experience in derivatives market regulation sector, with 3 years having been in Senior Management
Key Skills, Knowledge & Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive issues with tact and discretion;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, demanding environment and to balance multiple competing demands;
- Be a solution driven individual;
- Knowledge of securities laws and regulations preferably in the Derivatives markets sub-sector;
- Ability to identify policy, legal and regulatory impediments to a Derivative market environment through gap analysis and to provide practical solutions;
- Strong presentation and communication skills including ability to develop proposals, concept papers, policy papers as well as write reports on Spot Commodities and Derivatives market;
- Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook express including financial and statistical packages;
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity;
- Ability to maintain high standards of integrity; establish straightforward, productive relationships;
- Ability to treat individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for ethnic, cultural and gender differences; and
- Strong relationship-building, networking and leadership skill.
How to Apply
If your background, experience and competence match the specifications outlined, please send your application, quoting the reference of the position you are interested in, including your current curriculum vitae, copies of your certificates and other testimonials, salary history, three referees (one of who must be either your current or previous employer), day telephone number, e-mail address and details of your current salary and benefits to: The Chief Executive, Capital Markets Authority P. O Box 74800 – 00200,
Applications should be received on or before 11th September 2015
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
“Capital Markets Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply”.