Reporting to the Safety & Security Coordinator the Safety & Security Officer will assist in the smooth running of the Safety and Security department within the Refugee Assistance Programme, Dadaab.
In addition s/he will be responsible for safeguarding the organization’s assets, detection and prevention of crime, as well as carrying out investigations and submitting reports.
Responsibilities and Tasks
R1: Responsible for the Management of the Safety & Security of CARE staff and property within respective/allocated camp/project sites and Food Distribution Points
- 1.1 Conducting daily security checks at the camps/its environs and report to the SCC.
- 1.2 Work with administration staff to ensure appropriate steps are taken to safeguard office premises, equipment and residential property (guards, locks, lighting, alarms, and fire equipment).
- 1.3 Ensure adequate supervision of the contracted (G4S) security guards in the camp.
- 1.4 Continuously update the SSC or his delegate on all security incidents and information of the region.
- 1.5 Prepare camp based weekly security situation reports and send them to SSC or his delegate.
- 1.6 Assist the SSC in implementing Dadaab annual operation plans by being in charge of specific camp based activities.
- 2.1 Gather all security information in her/his respective camp, analyze and disseminate the same to staff in the respective camp and share relevant security related information with other IPs.
- 2.2 Develop a network of contacts among local actors to facilitate CARE work and enhance the security of its operations.
- 2.3 Assist the SSC in conducting periodic and appropriate safety and security related trainings for all CARE staff in Dadaab.
- 2.4 Conduct internal investigations as will be required and give reports to the SSC.
- 2.5 Liaise with Kenya Police, UNHCR security, G4S, Community Self-Management Security Committee, the Section/Block leaders and CDS Incentive Workers, in order to collect security information from the community.
- 2.6 Report on a regular/daily basis to Safety and Security Coordinator or his delegated authority in order to inform operational planning and decision making. Report on critical incidents, trends, population movements, potential triggers, etc
- 3.1 Perform security assessments and physical survey in CARE camps, FDPs and project sites and submit report with recommendations to SSC.
- 3.2 Work with SSC or delegated authority to develop and regularly update the Safety & Security Management Plan (SSMP) and tools in accordance with the nature of safety and security risks including detailed threat assessment, standard operating procedures for personal movement & transport, office, warehouse, telecommunications, incident report sheets and asset protection.
- 3.3 Promote team work and spirit through participatory leadership in the delivery of safety and security services.
- 3.4 Review safety and security procedures in consultation with SSC.
- 3.5 Implement safety and security policies/procedures.
- 3.6 Supervise and enforce compliance to safety & security standards and procedures.
- 4:1 Work with SSC to develop camp specific contingency plans for incidents management events such as; Accidents, ambush, car hijacking, Severe injuries and serious illness (hospitalization or medivac), Kidnapping, Death of employee, Destruction of essential assets.
- 4.2 Establish relocation and emergency evacuations plans for the camp.
- 4.3 Review periodically past experiences and practices and propose improvements based on analytical judgment.
- 5:1 Monitor food distribution exercises and advise on issues related to safety and security.
- 5.2: Ensure proper crowd management & control and continuously monitor the security situation during the distribution exercises.
- 5.3 Ensures there is police presence during the food distribution and during the salary payments of the Incentive Workers.
Spending Authority: N/A
Supervision: Refugee Workers (Security Guards)
Decision Making: Makes normal decisions on effective and efficient performance of responsbilities of the position
Contact Key Relationships
External: UNHCR, WFP, IOM and other IPs, Privately Contracted Security Firm, Kenya Police, District Officer, other GOK Departments and Community Security Committees.
Internal: Camp Administrator and ALL care staff based in Dadaab.
The position is based in Dadaab (Ifo or Dagahaley camp) as well as any other extension camps and other program sites. This is a non-family work station.
Hot weather is prevalent throughout the year with limited basic amenities. Road movement between the work station and Garissa as well as inter-camp movement must be under police escort (scheduled convoys), with strict adherence to safety and security instructions all the time. It is a six days work station with a compensatory time off according to CTO policy.
Due to the nature of work, the incumbent is expected to be reachable on call 24 hours in the event of any emergency.
The incumbent shall reside in the CARE compound while executing official duties and shall obey and adhere to residential compound regulations
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- Diploma in Criminology / Security studies / Disaster management (a degree in the same field will be an added advantage)
- Basic Radio Communication course / training
- At least 6 years of progressive working experience in security setting; with 2 years in an NGO or international organization setting and 4 years in the Armed Forces (Police or Defence Force)
- Must have served in a substantive rank of NCO with the KDF or its equivalent in the National Police Service (NPS)
- Must be conversant with Field Communication Procedures (HF & VHF)
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of Security Operations
- Must be in possession of a valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Excellent investigation skills
- Good analytical & report writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- Flexibility & responsiveness in handling security issues
- High level integrity & confidentiality
- Ability to work under pressure and meet crucial deadlines Broad range of IT skills, including competencies in MS Office suite