Regional Communications Assistant (Kenya Nationals Only)
CARE is an organization driven by its mission to overcome poverty and social injustice. The CARE ECSA Regional Office is responsible for the oversight of CARE’s operations in the region as well as the provision of support to Country Offices. We work with 16 Country Offices in the region.
We are seeking competent, innovative, self-driven and passionate individual to fill the Regional Communications Assistant position based in Nairobi who will be flexible and able to moderately travel to Country offices in the East, Central and Southern Africa region.
Job Summary: The primary role of the Communications Assistant is to support the East, Central and Southern Africa Regional Office (ECSARO) in its internal and external communications.
The Communications Assistant will be responsible directly (or in support role) for a variety of communication products and information management services which are delivered in a professional and efficient manner.
Job Responsibility # 1: Collection, Packaging and Dissemination of ECSA activities and milestones for internal and external audiences
Information sharing: Updating office spaces with the latest information including the ECSA landing page and the noticeboards.
Promotional materials: The RO Communications Assistant will provide assistance for content and layout of creative promotional materials such as leaflets, fact sheets, info graphics, creative audio visual information, brochures and communications materials.
Information briefs: The RO Communications Assistant will support RO staff to monitor external information sources (newspapers, other agencies) relevant to CARE work in the region and synthesize and share main points in the form of information briefs to share regularly with staff in the RO and country offices.
Job Responsibility # 2: Manage ECSA website and internet presence, including social media platforms
Website and internet presence: The RO Communications Assistant will ensure ECSA provides up to date information and relevant communications materials to the CARE federation to ensure the visibility of CARE activities and impact in the region.
This will include proactive engagement with key information and knowledge platforms such as the CARE Village, Minerva, Wiki and alike. S/he will provide oversight and assistance for content on ECSARO primary pages on those CI wide platforms. S/he will also manage content on the ECSA gateway web portal.
Social media management: Generate daily tweets for the @CAREECSARegion twitter handle, building and maintaining the engagement of audience not just within the country but in all ECSA countries. Look at potential of having ECSA Youtube page.
Communicating the ECSA Change updates:Working with the Regional Change Project Coordinator, the Communications Assistant will work on implementing the Change Project Communications plan and finding creative ways of sharing the transformation process.
Job Responsibility # 3: Focal point for liaison between CARE International Communications Working Group (CI-COMWG) and ECSA
Engage and participate on Global Campaigns: Ensure ECSA participates through photo, video and other creative methods for global campaigns including International Women’s Day (8th March), Day of the Girl Child (11th October), World Refugee Day (19th June), World Humanitarian Day (19th August), and other milestone global campaigns.
Job Responsibility # 4: Provide communications and information management support to ECSA region meetings where needed
Information management and Rapporteuring: Where necessary, the Communications Assistant will be required to support in the logistics management of regional meetings including registration websites as well as rapporteur
Photo and Video Documentation: Manage full capture of meetings milestone through quality photography and videography , including final edits and output
- Professional Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/ her own work
- High degree of accuracy to ensure correctness of financial information
- Excellent organizational and communication skills are essential as is attention to detail, team work, customer services and the ability to work in a large, complex international organization
- Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs
- Is at ease and works well in a multicultural and diverse environment; Strong interpersonal skills
- Works with minimum supervision , is proactive and has a personal drive
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in fast paced working environment.
- Problem Solving -What has to be done is known, but how to do is not always defined.
- Ability to think ‘outside the box’ for creative communication solutions
- Ability to think through challenges and provide potential solutions rather than simply giving up on certain initiatives
- Ability to work in high-stress situations at some times
Education and Experience
- Degree in Communications, Information Management, Social Sciences, or similar;
- Up to 2 years in Communications with an NGO
- Strong understanding of approaches for communicating information to a wide range of different audiences;
- Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines, responsive to external requests. Strong team player.
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively; able to develop and present information and communications products for a range of different audiences; able to review and edit reports (in English) and other written documentation for dissemination and publication.
- Well planned and organized and able and willing to take initiative and be proactive, to think critically and propose different ways of working
- Ability to take lead in communication with various regional contacts
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE’s core values and humanitarian principles
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 2nd 2015
Kindly indicate the position title on the subject line when applying.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.