Kenyatta University is in the process of opening a new state of the art Hospital – Kenyatta University Hospital (KUH) in line with the University Strategic Plan and the Government Vision 2030 Development Plan.
The Hospital aspires to meet the health needs of all Kenyans as well as regional and global citizens. The hospital will also offer training of highly skilled medical personnel while carrying out biomedical research.
To this end the University seeks to employ a highly qualified and self-driven person to the following position:
Catering and Housekeeping Manager
Reporting to the Deputy Director Administration, the Catering and Housekeeping Manager will plan, organise and develop the food and beverage services, while meeting client expectations, food and hygiene standards, financial targets and to support the overall functions at the KUH.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the management of kitchen staff and facilities of the hospital
- Manage the food and beverage provision services in the hospital
- Supervise catering and waiting staff together with their work in the hospital
- Plan hospital menus in consultation with chefs and cooks in the hospital
- Plan and ensure recruitment and training of kitchen staff of the hospital
- Organise, lead and motivate the catering team of the hospital
- Ensure proper planning of kitchen staff in all shifts for continuous catering services in the hospital
- Ensure health and safety regulations are strictly observed in the kitchen of the hospital
- Monitor the quantity and quality of service provided by undertaking regular spot checks in the kitchen of the hospital
- Ensure maintenance of food stock levels and order new supplies as required in the kitchen of the hospital
- In charge of Housekeeping services
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure quality and timely kitchen supplies delivery in the hospital
- Participate in contracting for kitchen suppliers assessing their requirements and ensuring they are satisfied with the service delivered (in contract catering) in the hospital
- Ensuring compliance with all fire, licensing, and employment regulations in the hospital.
- Higher Diploma in Catering, Hotel Management or other Hospitality Services from a recognized institution, or Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality, Hotel Management or Food and Beverages Science from a recognized institution.
- At least three (3) years’ working experience as a Hospital Cateress in a reputable hospital.
- Computer literate.
- Knowledge of the relevant legislations.
- Knowledge of professional standards.
Additional Skills / Requirements
- Communication skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Team building skills.
- Supervisory skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Observation skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Must pass the integrity test as required by Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya.
Terms of Service: The terms for the above position includes a generous medical scheme, house allowance and commuting allowance.
How to Apply
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
Applicants and Referees should write directly to:
Vice-Chancellor Kenyatta University P. O. Box 43844 – 00100 Nairobi
Applications and letters from the referees should be received not later than, 1st November 2016.
Kenyatta University is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.