Department: Agriculture and livelihoods
Job / Office Location: Nairobi County
Duration: 18 months from April 2016)
Background: Catholic Relief Services seek a Project Officer – Animal Production, for the Kiambu Dairy Project – KDP. This is a 21 month project in Kiambu County of Kenya aimed at increasing dairy milk production by vulnerable small scale farmers.
Job Summary: On a day to day operational level, the KDP project will be implemented by the Catholic Archdiocese of Nairobi in close collaboration with the local authorities; CRS will provide the technical assistance needed and also link the dairy sector actors in the County.
Responsibility 1: Project implementation and reporting including monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Ensure project implementation in accordance with CRS’ program quality standards and guidelines.
- Lead in development of a contextual analysis of economic policy and dairy production issues affecting small scale dairy farmers in Kiambu County.
- Participate in the development and implementation of operational work plans in accordance with the budget, results framework, and administrative guidelines approved by CRS
- Participate in budget processes and periodic budget reviews for KDP related activities;
- Keep abreast of new developments in the dairy industry and participate actively in related county based technical working groups and forums; and report the deliberations of such meeting to CRS
- Provide technical assistance in the areas of dairy cattle productivity, Artificial insemination technology, dairy value chain, animal health and climate smart dairy production.
- Together with Caritas Nairobi, select intervention sites and expansion areas based on set criteria after consultation with all stakeholders (beneficiaries, County government other civil organizations etc.)
- Support the Caritas Nairobi team in compiling quarterly reports.
- Reporting: Develop comprehensive CRS quarterly reports for accountability and learning.
- Monitor progress of animal production activity implementation, identifying issues (technical and coordination) and formulate solutions to address the identified issues.
- Strengthen program linkages and foster good working relations with civil society organizations, county government representatives, private sector and community based organizations;
- Facilitate training needs identification and capacity building for Caritas Nairobi and other public and private partners;
- Support the MEAL department to develop annual learning agenda, data analysis from the field and producing customized reports for various applications/interventions;
- Coordinate the adoption of new products and/or approaches in livestock Production and the dairy value chain development
- Program Manager – Agriculture & Livelihoods
- MEAL Officer
- Caritas Nairobi
- The Kiambu County Government’s ministries of Agriculture, Livestock & Fisheries as well as Water, Environment & Natural Resources.
- Program consultants
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
- A broad grasp of socio – economic policy issues with respect to dairy production and especially in Kiambu County
- Experience working with local implementing partners, county governments, civil society, donors and local communities;
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills;
- Training/coaching skills
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detailed understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative
- Flexibility in tasks undertaken
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of participatory approaches
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Bachelor degree in Agriculture – livestock production option or related field,
- At least 5 years work experience in dairy cattle husbandry especially in the high potential areas of Central Kenya and/or North Rift region.
- At least 3 years work experience with climate-smart agricultural practices in dairy production
- 80% field travel in Kiambu County
- 20% office work in CRS’ Nairobi offices.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position
The following statement/declaration shall be included ON ALL job applications:
“I understand that CRS takes all allegations of abuse and exploitation seriously. Abuse or exploitation of children or vulnerable adults is grounds for immediate dismissal.”