About CRS: Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Job Title: Project Officer – Food Security, Nutrition and Livelihoods – Isiolo County
Job Location: Isiolo County
Band / Grade: Grade 5
Reports to (Job title): Project Manager – K-RAPID WASH Program/ County Program Lead -Isiolo
Background: Catholic Relief Services seek a Project Officer – Food Security, Nutrition and Livelihoods Officer (PO – FSNL) for a multi-donor funded 5-year WASH & Livestock program in Kenya.
In day to day activities the FNL Officer will take the specific responsibility of coordinating all food security, nutrition and livelihoods related activities.
Reporting to the County Program Lead/Manager, S/he will work closely together with the Millennium Water Alliance FSNL Specialist based in Nairobi and with other technical leads/officers in the program. The FSNL Officer will be located in Isiolo.
This is a full time position. The position is contingent upon successful signing of an agreement with donor.
The Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development (KENYA RAPID) is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) program, in which multiple partners cooperate.
It aims to support sustainable and resilient livelihoods in Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL’s), by improving water availability and water service delivery to people and livestock, and improve rangelands. KENYA RAPID mobilizes financial and technical resources from development partners, national government, county government and the private sector.
Over the next five years (2015-2020) the KENYA RAPID program focuses on five Kenyan counties with high poverty rates, chronic food and water insecurity and low access to basic services: Marsabit, Garissa, Isiolo, Wajir, and Turkana.
The Kenya RAPID program will facilitate a process that supports the growth and capacity strengthening of public, civil society, community and private sector institutions to increase access to water for people and livestock and rebuild a healthy rangeland management ecosystem.
The program is designed to create a successful intervention model that, with local adaptation, can be replicated by other counties and thus substantially contribute to the Government of Kenya’s goal of universal coverage of WASH services in Kenya by 2030.
There are three strategic objectives:
A responsive and accountable governance framework is in place and operational at county government level that ensures sustainable provision of water and pasture;
Replicable and scalable business models for sustainable WASH and livestock service delivery are developed and operationalized; and
Communities have increased access to sustainable WASH services and improved rangeland management
Job Summary: On a day to day operational level, the KENYA RAPID program will be coordinated by a County Coordination Unit (CCU), led by a County program lead manager and located within the Isiolo County administrative offices.
The FSNL Officer will be part of this CCU team and will report to County program lead and work closely with the FSNL Specialist based in Nairobi and with county employees assigned to work with the CCU team from relevant ministries (e.g., water, agriculture, livestock, health, planning) to implement the approved work plan for the county.
- Responsibility 1: Project implementation and reporting including monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Lead the development and implementation of an innovative Food Security, Nutrition and Livelihoods programme, through community based systems, addressing the needs of the most vulnerable members of society;
- Lead in development of a contextual analysis of economic policy, food security, nutrition and livelihoods issues affecting the county and particularly the target groups;
- Facilitate the county in development of a detailed food security, nutrition and livelihoods strategy that aligns with the county integrated development plans
- Formulate food security and livelihoods related guidelines, regulations and plans for KENYA RAPID operations at the county level and ensure the program operates efficiently and effectively;
- Participate in the development and implementation of operational work plans in accordance with the budget, results framework, and administrative guidelines approved by the Program Steering Committee (PSC);
- Participate in budget processes and periodic budget reviews for Food security, Nutrition and Livelihoods related activities;
- Stay abreast of new developments in Food security, Nutrition and Livelihoods and participate actively in related technical working groups and forums;
- Provide technical assistance in the areas of agricultural/livestock productivity, seed systems, agricultural/livestock value chains, land and water management and trade/marketing of agricultural/livestock products;
- Implement decisions made by the Program Steering Committee (PSC) and the County Program Steering Committee (CPSC);
- Select intervention sites, expansion areas and (new) program partners based on set criteria by the county and after consultation with all stakeholders;
- Support the CCU team in compiling reports every six months to be provided to the CPSC that summarizes program achievements, key challenges, lessons learned to date and detailing budget expenditures and investment plans from all stakeholders.
- Develop a MEL plan for the FSNL activities in the program in close consultation with the information/data management officer;
- Monitor progress of FSNL activity implementation, identifying issues (technical and coordination) and formulate solutions to address the identified issues.
- Responsibility 2: Networking, representation and collaboration
- Strengthen program linkages and foster good working relations with civil society organizations, government representatives, private sector and community based organizations;
- Facilitate training needs identification and capacity building for the county staff and other public and private partners;
- Support the information/data management officer to develop annual learning agenda, data analysis from the field and producing customized reports for various applications/interventions;
- Coordinate the adoption of new products and/or approaches in Food Security, Nutrition and Livelihoods development and marketing;
- Technical support to the CCU in launching tenders and calls for proposal; contract service providers and implementing entities;
- Monitor compliance of FSNL contract service providers, consultants and implementing entities contracted by the CCU;
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
- Project Manager/County program lead Isiolo, information officer – Isiolo County, CRS Program Quality and Support Department (PQSD).
- The Isiolo County Government’s ministries of Water, irrigation, health, finance and planning, agriculture and livestock.
- Program consultants
- County Program Steering Committee, Millennium Water Alliance Program Coordinating Unit and the program technical leads.
- Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
- Competencies Relevant for the Specific Position:
- A broad grasp of socio – economic policy issues with respect to food security, nutrition and livelihood development in both in rural and urban settings
- Technical knowledge in Food security, Nutrition, Livestock and other Livelihoods, Social Protection, Gender issues and Environment
- Experience with working with county governments, civil society, donors and local communities;
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills;
- Training/coaching skills
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detailed understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative
- Flexibility in tasks undertaken
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of participatory approaches
- Understanding of development/relief issues
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Needs good strategic thinking and vision
- Strong financial/budget management skills required
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Agriculture/ livestock or related development field, a master’s degree will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years work experience in Food security, Nutrition and/or Livelihoods programming
Required Foreign Language: None.
Required Travel (where and expected %): 30% field travel and 70% office in Isiolo.
Work Environment: Isiolo County.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to Apply
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Friday September 4, 2015;
Human Resources Manager Catholic Relief Services – Kenya Program E-mail: [email protected]
Please indicate the Reference Number (Ref: 2015/25) on the ‘email subject.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment.
Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment.