Internships at the Center for Reproductive Rights
The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women’s reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill.
Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 130 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $23 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center’s game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide.
It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage.
It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women’s rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
The Center’s Africa program is looking for an enthusiastic, resourceful, and diligent intern with a commitment to reproductive rights issues, to participate in and assist in implementation of its ongoing projects.
This full time internship will begin in May 2017 and will run for a period of 3 months. The intern is expected to be physically based at the Center’s office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Compensation: This internship is eligible for a small stipend.
- Assisting in conducting legal and policy research and analysis on laws that impact women’s reproductive rights;
- Assisting in fact-checking sources for reports/cases;
- Assisting with tracking press mentions;
- Assisting in organizing program-related events and meetings and reporting on the same; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications for the Internship
- Currently enrolled for LL.M. degree program or recent graduates. Candidates in their final year of LLB may also be considered;
- Coursework in international human rights law;
- Strong legal research, writing, and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated interest in women’s issues and reproductive rights.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a growing group;
- Motivated self-starter and highly organized;
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential matters appropriately;
- Have the capability to multitask and adjust priorities as needed; and
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
How to Apply
Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact information for two references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position.
Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.