Chai SACCO Society Ltd is a leading deposit taking Savings and Credit Co-operative Society Ltd with nationwide membership.
The SACCO has two fully pledged branches in Nairobi and Litein, and a marketing Office in Mombasa.
We are looking for self-driven and results-oriented persons to fill the following positions:-
Job Title: Branch Assistant Accountants
Department: Branch Operations
Position Reports to: Branch Manager
Position Supervises: Loans Assistant
Purpose of the Job: Co-ordination of financial operations at the branch level and maintenance of updated financial transactions
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The jobholder’s duties and responsibilities are outlined as follows;
Operational Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain accounting controls by implementing accounting policies and procedures at the branch.
- Provide operational financial support and guidance on budgeting and financial performance.
- Ensure proper books of accounting are maintained and kept up to date,
- Ensure suppliers are paid on time and in accordance to the Society’s policy,
- Prepare and interpret branch financial reports listed below.
- Monthly finance reports
- Quarterly management reports
- Participate in the overall financial performance and reporting.
- Verify authenticity of financial transactions before posting, approve journal entries,
- Ensure timely preparation of reconciliation statements and returns as and when required and giving explanation of variances
- Liaise with Internal and External auditors and responding to queries, observations and recommendations.
- Assist in the preparation of the branch’s standards of financial operations.
- Manage member accounts in the following way:
- Process refunds-shares, over deductions, deceased cases, and withdrawals
- Ensure that disbursed loans are sent to outstations / members for recovery immediately after disbursement.
- Assist in ensuring that cheques and cash are received and receipted within the set deadlines.
- Ensure that the received cheques/ cash are updated to reflect in the member statement within the set deadlines.
- Ensure that corporate members are called and advised to place standing orders to repay their loans and ensuring that those paying through cash/cheques do that as per the requirements.
- Follow up with defaulted loans to get a payment plan and /or attach the defaulted loans to guarantors as per the policy.
- Ensure that clearances are raised and followed up for payment.
- Liaise with debt collectors to issue them with files which the internal debt collection department has not made any progress.
- Preparation of delinquency reports.
- Communication to guarantors once a loan is defaulted.
- Ensure timely and prudent processing of withdrawals
- Ensure members are issued with their statement every quarter,
- Ensure implementation of accounts receivable policy
- Ensure members statements are printed and distributed as per policy
- Approve journal vouchers
- Preparation of over recovery reports
- Advising management of developing issues on recovery
- Approve clearance documentation
- Supervise recovery and remittances and monitor reports and operations from the member’s accounts,
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Key Result Areas:
The accountability areas are;
- Efficient accounting practice
- Sound commercial decisions based on financial information.
- Delivering on financial reporting
- Knowledge and Skills Required:
The jobholder must possess;
- A Bachelors degree in Business or related field
- CPA (K) /ACCA Qualification
- A minimum five years work experience in a similar set up
- Membership of a recognized professional accounting institute is an added advantage
- Computer literacy skills with experience working with Accounting Packages
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office, spreadsheet applications and computerized accounting systems
- Strong strategic advisory and analytical skills.
- Fluent in English with excellent communications, presentation and inter-personal skills.
- Membership of a recognized professional accounting institute is a must.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the set criteria may submit their applications with a detailed CV, copies of their certificates & national ID, and names and contacts of three referees, expected remuneration and daytime telephone contacts in a cleared marked envelope “APPLICATION FOR ……” to: The Chief Executive Officer,
Chai SACCO Society Ltd,
KTDA Plaza, 4th Floor,
P.O. Box 278-00200,
Nairobi. Application deadline: Wednesday, 23rd September 2015. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Chai Sacco is an equal opportunity employer.