Kenyatta University is in the process of opening a new state of the art Hospital – Kenyatta University Hospital (KUH) in line with the University Strategic Plan and the Government Vision 2030 Development Plan.
The Hospital aspires to meet the health needs of all Kenyans as well as regional and global citizens. The hospital will also offer training of highly skilled medical personnel while carrying out biomedical research.
To this end the University seeks to employ a highly qualified and self-driven person to the following position:
Chief of Anaesthesia
Reporting to the Assistant Director-Surgery Services, the Chief Anaesthetist will coordinate and provide anaesthesia services, coordinate anaesthesia research and training and advise the hospital and public on the same at KUH.
Main Duties and Responsibilities.
- Plan for all anaesthesia services and resources required in the anaesthesia department in collaboration with KU’s Anaesthesia Department, participate in and contribute to the overall strategic planning of the hospital
- Coordinate the implementation of the hospital strategic plan in the anaesthesia department within the framework of its vision, mission and culture/philosophy and other national and international healthcare and frameworks.
- Chair and act as its contact person of the anaesthesia department and its clinical referral services, research and training matters in the hospital.
- Ensure that anaesthesia department of the hospital has all the human and non-human resources required to offer anaesthesia services, research and training in the hospital.
- Participate in the recruitment and disciplinary action and processes of anaesthesia staff in the hospital.
- Coordinate and provide anaesthesia services and services delivery in the anaesthesia department of the hospital, ensure that they meet the expected standards and compliance in the hospital.
- Coordinate anaesthesia referral services within and without the hospital according to the anaesthesia needs in collaboration with other hospital sections and departments and within the framework of the hospital and national referral policies.
- Supervise anaesthesia staff together with their services, in the anaesthesia department of the hospital to ensure that they offer timely anaesthesia services within the expected standards, complying with the established ethics and regulations in the hospital.
- Ensure and coordinate continuous training and development of anaesthesia staff for their effective and efficient performance and productivity in the hospital.
- Coordinate and provide anaesthesia research and training within the hospital as well as ensuring collaboration and cooperation with the KU’s Anaesthesia Department.
- Offer specialized anaesthesia services advice to the hospital executive and other sections/departments and the general public in the appropriate media.
- Work with other medical specialties to solve single or multiple medical issue (s) or perform extensive surgery, when required by patients in the hospital.
- Monitor and evaluate progress and achievement of the anaesthesia department and services, research and training programmes in the hospital, prepare and disseminate periodic reports appropriately.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from a recognised institution.
- Master of Medicine in Anaesthesia from a recognised institution.
- At least three (3) years’ working experience as a Senior Anaesthetist two (2) of which should be Head of Department in a reputable hospital.
- Computer literate.
- Knowledge of relevant legislations.
- Knowledge of professional standards.
- Proven track record of clinical research and training in a reputable institution.
Additional Skills / Requirements
- Communication skills.
- Organisational skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Observation skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Must pass the integrity test as required by Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya.
Terms of Service: The terms for the above position includes a generous medical scheme, house allowance and commuting allowance.
How to Apply
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
Applicants and Referees should write directly to:
Vice-Chancellor Kenyatta University P. O. Box 43844 – 00100 Nairobi
Applications and letters from the referees should be received not later than, 1st November 2016.
Kenyatta University is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.