Kenyatta University is in the process of opening a new state of the art Hospital – Kenyatta University Hospital (KUH) in line with the University Strategic Plan and the Government Vision 2030 Development Plan.
The Hospital aspires to meet the health needs of all Kenyans as well as regional and global citizens. The hospital will also offer training of highly skilled medical personnel while carrying out biomedical research.
To this end the University seeks to employ a highly qualified and self-driven person to the following position:
Chief of Diagnostic and Radiation Medicine
Reporting to the Assistant Director-Medical Services, the Chief Medical Radiologist will coordinate and provide specialised radiology an imaging services, coordinate radiology and imaging services research and training, and advise the hospital and public on the same at the Kenyatta University Teaching, Research and Referral Hospital.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan for all general medical services and resources in the internal medicine department of the hospital in collaboration with KU’s Internal Medicine Department; and participate in and contribute to the overall strategic planning of the hospital.
- Ensure and coordinate the implementation of the hospital’s strategic plan in the internal medicine department within the framework of the vision, mission and culture of the hospital and other national and international healthcare frameworks.
- Chair and act as the contact person for the internal medicine department’s clinical referral, research and training matters in the hospital.
- Ensure that the internal medicine department of the hospital has all the required resources required to offer specialised general medical services, research and training in the hospital.
- Participate in the recruitment and disciplinary processes of internal medicine staff in the hospital.
- Coordinate and provide specialised medical services and service delivery in the internal medicine department of the hospital, ensuring that they meet the expected standards of quality, quantity and compliance.
- Coordinate internal medicine referral services within and without the hospital according to the specialised medical services needs in collaboration with other hospital sections and departments and within the framework of the hospital and national referral policies.
- Supervise internal medicine staff together with their services, in the internal medicine department of the hospital to ensure that they offer timely specialised medical services within the expected standards of quality and quantity in compliance with the established ethics and regulations.
- Ensure and coordinate continuous training and development of internal medicine staff for their effective and efficient performance and productivity.
- Coordinate and provide medical research and training within the internal medicine department of the hospital as well as ensure collaboration and cooperation with KU’s Internal Medicine Department.
- Offer specialised internal medical services’ advice to the hospital executive and other sections/departments and the general public in the appropriate media.
- Work with other medical specialists to solve single or multiple medical issue (s) or perform extensive surgery, when required in the hospital
- Monitor and evaluate progress and achievement of the internal medicine department and services; research and training programs in the hospital; and prepare and disseminate periodic reports appropriately.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from a recognized institution
- Master of Medicine in Radiology from a recognized institution
- At least three (3) years’ working experience as a Senior Radiologist, two (2) of which should be Head of Department in a reputable hospital.
- Registration with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board or any other medical registration body recognized by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board.
- Valid Practice License
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of relevant legislations
- Knowledge of professional standards
- Proven track record of Radiology research and training in a reputable institution
Additional Skills / Requirements
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Observation skills
- Analytical skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must pass the integrity test as required by Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya
Terms of Service: The terms for the above position includes a generous medical scheme, house allowance and commuting allowance.
How to Apply
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
Applicants and Referees should write directly to:
Vice-Chancellor Kenyatta University P. O. Box 43844 – 00100 Nairobi
Applications and letters from the referees should be received not later than, 1st November 2016.
Kenyatta University is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.