Kenyatta University is in the process of opening a new state of the art Hospital – Kenyatta University Hospital (KUH) in line with the University Strategic Plan and the Government Vision 2030 Development Plan.
The Hospital aspires to meet the health needs of all Kenyans as well as regional and global citizens. The hospital will also offer training of highly skilled medical personnel while carrying out biomedical research.
To this end the University seeks to employ a highly qualified and self-driven person to the following position:
Chief Finance Officer
Reporting to the Assistant Director-Finance and Administrative Services, the Chief Finance Officer job exists to oversee, coordinate and provide financial management and accounting services, and advise the hospital executive and other stakeholders on the same at the KUH.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake strategic analysis, guide in and coordinate the formulation of hospital comprehensive strategic plan in collaboration and cooperation with the Director of KUH, Departmental Heads and all other section and units heads according to the hospital strategic direction set out by the hospital board.
- Prepare long term and short term business plans for the hospital in collaboration with other section heads and within the framework of the comprehensive strategic plan of the hospital.
- Interpret and coordinate the implementation of finance component of hospital comprehensive strategic plan within its vision, mission and culture and other local and foreign healthcare frameworks.
- Ensure and coordinate the financial planning (Budget) for the hospital in collaboration and coordination with sections’ and units’ heads and according comprehensive strategic plan of the hospital.
- Ensure that the hospital runs within its financial plans, achieving its financial goals and meeting its financial obligations through controlled cash flows, business modelling, increased revenues, managed costs and assessing and reducing risks in the hospital.
- Ensure and coordinate business research to establish hospital products demand, supply, pricing and sector competition in order to adjust product design and pricing accordingly in the hospital.
- Coordinate all the financial management functions in the hospital and represent the section and its pertinent matters to the hospital executive and other stakeholders within and without the hospital.
- Ensure the collation, preparation, interpretation and presentation of hospital financial and accounting reports, statements and commentaries to the different stakeholders within and without the hospital.
- Ensure preparation and dissemination short and long term business and investment plans for the hospital for its strategic financial viability and overall sustainability.
- Formulate financial management systems/models, policies and procedures for the hospital within the framework of public financial management laws, policies and procedures, and communicate the same to all stakeholders in the hospital.
- Ensure that the finance section of the hospital has all human and non-human resources required to offer financial management services in the hospital.
- Coordinate and conduct periodic financial analysis in order to establish the financial situations of the hospital and produce financial statements and advice to the different stakeholders in order to ensure continuous service provision and sustainability of the hospital.
- Participate in the recruitment and induction, and disciplinary action and processes of finance section staff in collaboration with the human resource section in the hospital within the established policies and procedures of the hospital.
- • Supervise finance section staff together with their services in the hospital, to ensure that they offer timely financial services within the expected standards, complying with the established policies, procedures and practices in the hospital.
- Ensure and coordinate continuous training and development of staff in the finance section for their effective and efficient performance and productivity in the hospital.
- Ensure and provide financial management advisory service to the hospital executive and other sections and units and other stakeholders through the appropriate media.
- Work with other section heads and specialists to solve single or multiple problematic financial issue (s), whenever it arises in the hospital.
- Liaise with government agencies such as the treasury to ensure that financial management in the hospital complies with the established public financial management polies and practices.
- Oversee and coordinate monitoring and evaluation of progress and achievement of the finance section’s programmes, procedures, processes and services, and prepare and disseminate periodic reports appropriately in the hospital.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Commerce or Business Management from a recognized institution
- Masters’ Degree in Financial Management from a recognized institution
- CPA (K) or the equivalent qualification
- At least five years’ working experience as a Finance Manager in a similar level organization
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of IFMIS
- Knowledge of Public Finance Management Act
- Knowledge of Accounting systems
- Knowledge of the relevant legislations
- Knowledge of professional standards
Additional Skills / Requirements
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Team building skills
- Attention to detail
- Observation skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must pass the integrity test as required by Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya
Terms of Service: The terms for the above position includes a generous medical scheme, house allowance and commuting allowance.
How to Apply
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
Applicants and Referees should write directly to:
Vice-Chancellor Kenyatta University P. O. Box 43844 – 00100 Nairobi
Applications and letters from the referees should be received not later than, 1st November 2016.
Kenyatta University is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.