The Kenya National Commission for UNESCO (KNATCOM) is a State Corporation established under the KNATCOM Act of 2013 which aims to advance UNESCO’s agenda in Kenya by contributing to peace and sustainable development through promotion of international standards and best practices in the five fields of UNESCO’s competence namely: Education; Natural Sciences; Social & Human Sciences; Culture; Communication & Information.
To enable it fulfill its mandate, the Commission wishes to recruit dynamic, result-oriented and self-driven persons to fill the following vacant position:
Job Title: Chief Internal Auditor
Grade: S 5
Reports To: Dual reporting to the Board through the Secretary General / CEO
Directs Reports: Senior Internal Auditor
Scope: Internal and Risk Management Department
Classification: Middle Management Level
Location: Nairobi, Headquarters
Purpose of the Job: To ensure policy implementation and management of the day to day business of the Audit and Risk Management Department.
Gross Salary Ksh. 84,590 – 97,290 Pm
Leave Allowance – Ksh. 6,000
Medical Allowance – As per scheme rules
Group Life & Accident Cover
Terms P n P
Pension Contribution rate (basic salary)
Employee – 7.5%
Employer – 12.5%
Function: This Department exists to perform the following functions; development of audit and risk policies, strategies and plans; review of internal controls systems; risk management; advice on corporate governance; advice management on governance risks and controls; capacity building and audit investigation and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
The officer will be responsible to the Secretary General/CEO and the Board for the coordination and
implementation of the Internal Audit and Risk Management Services in a results oriented and timely
manner to achieve the Corporations’ goals, objectives and agreed performance targets.
This will entail inter alia:
- Ensure the overall achievement of the functions and objectives of the Audit and Risk Management Department;
- Coordinate the day to day business of the Audit and Risk Management Department.
- Prepare the annual Audit and Risk Management plans, performance contracts and establish proper internal controls
- Formulate and communicate the Commission’s Audit and Risk Management policies, strategies, and plans and their evaluation thereof
- Provide leadership to staff and ensure that the Departments management structures, processes and systems are effective
- Ensure that all Audit and Risk Management policy and technical papers are availed to the relevant and authorized offices in good time and provide follow up activities as may be required.
- Provide regular communication to the Secretary General/CEO or the Board on key Audit and Risk Management matters
- Monitor, recommend and implement procedural or policy changes to improve operations and quality service delivery in the Department.
- Advise the Commission on the Audit and Risk Management best practices which may promote good corporate relations;
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Secretary General/CEO.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields namely; Business of Commerce (Accounting or Finance option), Finance or Business Administration (Accounting Option) from a recognized and accredited institution
- Post graduate Diploma in Internal Auditing or certificate in Certified Public Accountant Part II or CIA Part III
- Registration with the institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) or ICPAK; Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Possess a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in the relevant field or profession two (2) of which should be at a comparable senior level
- Demonstrated competence of working within the Audit unit of a reputable institution
- A self motivated individual with the ability to work independently
- Have good industry knowledge and experience of government audit processes and procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of government financial and accounting legislations and policies affecting the audit function
- Demonstrated ability in the use automated audit systems
- Possession of good knowledge of ethics, governance and Audit operation frameworks of a State Corporation.
General Knowledge and Skills
- Organizational skills, software knowledge, department policy and procedure knowledge, good interpersonal and communication skills, ethics, PC skills and excellent analytical skills
- Team player, resourceful, flexible, have integrity and commitment to production results, self-motivated, dependable, organized, professional and must satisfy the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity.
- Mental, Physical and Work environment characteristics
- Normal office setting, moderate frequency meetings, occasional field visits, mental strain and moderate prolonged working hours
How to Apply
1. CLICK HERE to Download the KNATCOM 1A application form
2. Complete the form and attach the relevant certificates
3. Drop or mail the documents to
The Secretary General/CEO Kenya National Commission for UNESCO P.O. Box 72107-00200 National Bank Building, 14th Floor Harambee Avenue Nairobi
Only short listed candidates will be contacted The deadline of application is 4th of September 2015 at 5.00pm