Kenyatta University is in the process of opening a new state of the art Hospital – Kenyatta University Hospital (KUH) in line with the University Strategic Plan and the Government Vision 2030 Development Plan.
The Hospital aspires to meet the health needs of all Kenyans as well as regional and global citizens. The hospital will also offer training of highly skilled medical personnel while carrying out biomedical research.
To this end the University seeks to employ a highly qualified and self-driven person to the following position:
Chief of Pharmacy
Reporting to the Assistant Director-Medical Support Services, the Chief Pharmacist job exists to coordinate and provide pharmacy services, coordinate pharmacy and pharmaceutical research and training and advise the hospital and public on the same at KUH.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan for all pharmacy services and resources in the pharmacy department of the hospital in collaboration with KU Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Department, participate in and contribute to the overall strategic planning of the hospital
- Ensure and coordinate the implementation of the hospital strategic plan in the pharmacy department within the framework of the vision, mission and culture/philosophy of the hospital and other national and international healthcare and frameworks
- Chair pharmacy department’s clinical, pharmacy and pharmaceutical research and training matters in the hospital and act as its contact person
- Ensure that pharmacy department of the hospital has all the required human and non-human resources required to offer pharmacy services, pharmaceutical research and training in the hospital
- Participate in the recruitment and disciplinary action and processes of pharmacy staff in the hospital
- Coordinate and provide pharmacy services and service delivery in the pharmacy department of the hospital ensuring that they meet the expected standards of quality, quantity and compliance
- Supervise pharmacy staff together with their services, in the pharmacy department of the hospital to ensure that they offer timely pharmacy services within the expected standards of quantity and quantity complying with the established ethics and regulations
- Ensure and coordinate continuous training and development of pharmacy staff for their effective and efficient performance and productivity
- Coordinate and provide pharmacy and pharmaceutical research and training within the hospital as well as ensuring collaboration and cooperation with the KU Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Department
- Offer specialised pharmacy and pharmaceutical services advice to the hospital executive and other sections/departments and the general public in the appropriate media
- Work with other medical specialties to solve single or multiple medical issue (s), when required
- Monitor and evaluate progress and achievement of the pharmacy department and services, pharmaceutical research and training programs in the hospital, prepare and disseminate periodic reports appropriately.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy from a recognised institution
- Master of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Services from a recognised institution
- At least three (3) years’ working experience as a Senior Pharmacist, two (2) of which should be Head of Department in a reputable hospital.
- Registration with the Pharmacy and Poisons Board of Kenya
- Valid Practice License
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of relevant legislations
- Knowledge of professional standards
- Proven track record of pharmacy research and training
Additional Skills / Requirements
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Observation skills
- Analytical skills
- Organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must pass the integrity test as required by Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya
Terms of Service: The terms for the above position includes a generous medical scheme, house allowance and commuting allowance.
How to Apply
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
Applicants and Referees should write directly to:
Vice-Chancellor Kenyatta University P. O. Box 43844 – 00100 Nairobi
Applications and letters from the referees should be received not later than, 1st November 2016.
Kenyatta University is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply