Vacancy: Communications Officer (DTMASS), CIMMYT
About the Organization: The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The Position: The Communications Officer will actively communicate on behalf of DTMASS on a regular basis, and occasionally on other DTMASS related CIMMYT projects in Africa.
He/she will build and nurture relationships with in-country partners (Seed Companies and stockists),
target populations (different types of farmers) donors, policymakers, the scientific community, media, and other stakeholders.
1. Communication Products
Contribute to the formulation and implementation of the DTMASS Communications Strategy to advance CIMMYT’s research for-development in Africa. This will include an Awareness/ Demand Creation Strategy, Media Engagement Strategy.
Write, edit and oversee the production of publications, including newsletters, scientific reports for media, etc.
Write Research Summaries of CIMMYT and partner research for various audiences (seed companies, national research partners, farmers, the CGIAR Consortium, donors, press, and others).
Develop content and functionality for a DTMASS Knowledge Sharing website and multi- and social-media outlets for external partners.
2. Capacity Building and Support
Develop and deliver capacity training on Communications to DTMASS staff and in-country partners as needed.
Provide Communications support to Project partners as needed.
Provide communications support for key events, workshops, meetings, conferences and other fora.
3. Internal Coordination
Coordinate with CIMMYT Communications and Knowledge Management staff in Country, Regional and Global CIMMYT offices as needed, and ensure DTMASS compliance with CIMMYT and Donor style and branding.
Support the DTMASS teams (Technical; Marketing; and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) in communications-related tasks as needed, including technical and donor reporting, proposal writing, communications capacity building, and other tasks.
Liaise between DTMASS Management Committee and CIMMYT’s Project Management Unit on donor reports and products.
Curate project-specific contact database and distribution lists.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related discipline.
- Minimum of (5) five years’ experience in international development in East and/or Southern Africa.
- Technical writing / Science or Research communications: ability to express technical concepts in clear, simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public, is critical.
- Specific expertise in communications, marketing, public relations and media campaigns.
- Experience in agribusiness or nonprofit highly desired.
- Proficiency in developing website content and use of social- and new-media tools is a must.
- Experience in event organization and promotion.
- Excellent written and spoken English; strong writing and editing skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office package (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook), social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Knowledge of photo- and video-editing software desirable.
Terms of offer: CIMMYT is hosted by the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) which is an equal-opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of two (2) years renewable, subject to six (6) months’ probation period.
The position will be based in the CIMMYT office in Nairobi, Kenya but will require travel to the field inside and outside the country.
How to Apply
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Applications will be considered until 8th September 2015.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our web sites www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org