Accounting Assistant Job Vacancies at International Potato Center, Kenya
The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a highly talented Accounting Assistant for the CIP Sub Saharan Africa Regional Office in Nairobi.
- The Accounting assistant will report to the Country Finance Specialist and will support the Finance Unit in implementing CIP’s organizational mission through efficient and effective accounting and financial management.
- This position will primarily assist in the preparation of payments and clearing accounts payable balances. It requires broad understanding of program implementation and cross cultural people skills.
- This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Accounting Assistant Job Duties and Accountabilities in Kenya
- Receive and record invoices in the invoice register & check them for consistency and accuracy according to CIP guidelines and policies;
- Prepare payments and ensure safety of financial resources;
- Ensure appropriate supporting documents for transactions including receipts, invoices, contracts are attached;
- Ensure that payment requests are properly approved and that payments are effected within CIP SSA turn-around time;.
- Record financial transactions following proper classification of accounts and cost centre in the documents, and hand them over the general ledger accountant for posting;.
- Reconciling and management of VAT accounts to ensure invoices with VAT are ready for processing the Exemption certificate;.
- Ensure all bills are posted according to the period of the service provided (Utility Bills, Rentals, IT, Facilities) monthly;.
- Management of overdue suppliers accounts to ensure all outstanding bills are reconciled and paid in time;.
- Ensure all payments are filed sequentially and stamped PAID in readiness for Audit;.
- Ensure financial transactions are carried out in accordance with the Center’s financial and administrative policies and procedures and
- Maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions;
- Ensure and support in the maintenance of a good filing system.
Selection Criteria for Accounting Assistant Jobs in Kenya
- Minimum of CPA / ACCA Part 2.
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in the busy accounting office.
- Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial transactions and documentation for compliance.
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of UNIT 4 Agresso Business systems
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Cross cultural sensitivity.
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff.
- Ability to train/mentor staff in accounting requirements.
- Ability to be a team player in a busy environment, often with tight deadlines
- Be a Kenyan citizen.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position (NRS). The employment contract will be for a two year term (with a three month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to performance and availability of funding.
How to Apply
Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website here including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 31 March, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.