Clinical Nurse Job at Kenya Medical Research Institute
Reference Number: CN07-16
- This role will involve day to day nursing care and research activities for children admitted in the paediatric ward and/or HDU ward including participants enrolled into FLACSAM trial.
- The post holder conducts daily activities to ensure optimal nursing assessment and care, communication with participants, timely study recruitment, data and sample collection, follow up and adherence to study-specific procedures in the FLACSAM trial and other studies. The FLACSAM trial will examine the efficacy of different first-line antibiotic combinations amongst very sick children who are severely malnourished and are admitted to hospital. It is a large clinical trial that will be conducted across several sites, where study teams will be based.
- The post holder, will work in the paediatric ward of the hospital, and will have a high level of responsibility for planning and overseeing nursing aspects of the trial are implemented. The post holder will work closely with the MOH nursing staff in the hospital to ensure care of children in the trial is provided.
- The post holder will need to be self-sufficient and be able to work unsupervised within unpredictable timescales. The post is mentally demanding, and involves a high level of communication among clinical and nursing team in the hospital, trial staff, study participants and the wider community.Staff operating at this grade range contribute to a research team and deal with relatively standard work situations which require them to apply known Standard operating procedures. They are required to provide guidance to team members at lower grades, and also be involved in supervising the work of others. Staff have responsibility for prioritising their own work and ensuring the necessary equipment/materials are available.
Reporting lines: The postholder will report to the Senior Clinical Officer
Clinical Nurse Job Key Responsibilities
- By working closely with the hospital’s nursing team, ensure the nursing care of research participants is planned and delivered according to appropriate guidelines.
- Lead the nursing staff directly involved with the FLACSAM trial in planning activities such as drug administration and accountability, nursing care and documentation.
- Participate in daily reviews of patients to establish eligibility for inclusion in malnutrition studies and make relevant recommendations.
- Maintain a high level of communication about both care and research activities with patient’s and participant’s families.
- Administer and/or oversee the informed consent process and ensure that this is undertaken as per study protocols and Programme policies.
- Carry out trial related assessments and collection of data using case record forms and daily record forms in accordance to Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Provide on-going information, education and support to families or guardians of potentially eligible research subjects and ensure all concerns and queries are addressed satisfactorily and where necessary refer to senior clinical staff.
- Perform study related procedures including administering investigational products as per protocol and maintaining drug accountability records.
- Provide treatment to patients as instructed by the physician including performing procedures, tracking vital signs, administering medicines and carrying out regular checks on the patient’s well being.
- Monitor treatment plans, evaluate and advice/ make appropriate recommendations to the Medical Officer or relevant officer as required
- Participate in the documentation and reporting of serious adverse events and clinical endpoints, including death and readmission to hospital.
Skills & Competence for Clinical Nurse Job
- A diploma in Nursing or equivalent, registered nurse
- At least 3 years nursing experience
- Experience in clinical research including clinical trials
- Excellent clinical/nursing diagnostic skills
- Attentive to detail with strong follow through ability
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Computer literate with proficiency Microsoft applications
- Proactive and confident with strong ethics
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in stressful environment
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment, punctual and high integrity
- Well groomed; neat and clean appearance
How to Apply
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”. All applicants are required to attach their updated CVs, Cover letter and state their current/last gross salary. The application closing date is 15th July 2016. Click here to apply