Vacancy: Director of Finance & Administration
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
CMMB is a global non-governmental, humanitarian and development organization with a special focus on making healthcare available to all.
CMMB is recruiting for the position of Director of Finance & Administration to be based at our offices in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will report to the Country Director.
As Director of Finance & Administration, your primary function will be to develop, coordinate and implement the CMMB-Kenya Country Office plans and processes for recording, controlling, monitoring and reporting on our financial and operations support function.
You will provide leadership, direction and hands-on management expertise over the finance, compliance, procurement, IT, grant management, risk, asset management, logistics, and general administration functions.
You will ensure transparent and responsive accountability, strong internal controls and the identification and mitigation of organizational risks.
As the senior leader for the finance and operation you are responsible for supervision, performance management and development of your team through coaching, feedback and training.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage and oversee the organization’s resources, including office operations and specific programs funded by US government grants (USAID, CDC), multi-lateral organization grants (Global Fund) and other donors (CHAMPs).
- Promulgate sound financial and procurement policies, procedures and systems in line with best financial practices, statutory compliance regulations, donor reporting requirements and CMMB’s policies and procedures.
- Establish and implement an organizational accountability framework in which responsibilities are well defined, and authorized delegations of approval authority.
- Maintain strong internal financial controls; identify, mitigate and report on key organizational risks.
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve systemic financial, grant management and operational issues.
- Provide accurate, complete and timely financial and operational analyses and briefings for decision-making purposes by senior management.
Finance, Compliance & Reporting
- Lead the formulation of the Country Office annual budget covering all program and office activities; support the formulation of project budgets during the proposal development stage.
- Lead the accurate, complete and timely production and distribution of all monthly, quarterly and annual project budgets and reports in collaboration with the program team.
- Lead Country Office responses to audit enquiries, and ensure continuous compliance with CMMB’s accounting policies and procedures, and generally accepted accounting principles
- Ensure donor and internal reporting compliance requirements are completed in line with agreed standards and on a timely basis; adhere to U.S. government anti-terrorism policies for all US government grants.
- Ensure the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the reporting and submissions of the monthly accounts in line with the Chart of Accounts through the Abila (MIP) accounting system, to include:
- (i) bank reconciliation reports,
- (ii) intra-company reconciliation,
- (iii) payroll reconciliation,
- (iv) sub-office reports,
- (v) employee and grants receivables; and
- (vi) sub-ledger and non-sub ledger accounts reconciliation.
- Ensure quality review of balance sheet, income statement, grants and contracts receivable/payable accounts.
- Serve as the primary focal point with the banks and major vendors
- Ensure Country Office cash flow is sufficient for project and office operations.
- Comply with CMMB indirect cost recovery policies and ensure that all shared program costs are properly calculated and allocated.
- Monitor grant spend rates; Collaborate with project managers during the critical close out months of a grant to ensure budgets are fully and effectively utilized, and adherence to donor and CMMB close out policies.
- Ensure the cost-effective and timely procurement and receipt/disbursement of services and materials through the application of CMMB and donor procurement policies and procedures relating to:
- (i) adequacy of competitive bidding;
- (ii) technical competence;
- (iii) timeliness of delivery; and
- (iv) value for money.
- Direct the implementation of asset management software for office and program equipment and supplies, including maintenance scheduling, consumption trends analysis, adequacy of inventory levels.
- Ensure adequate and comprehensive insurance coverage.
- Ensure IT services are delivered efficiently and securely; ensure that hardware, software and communications equipment are cost effective, secure and properly maintained.
- Review, clear and advise on all Country Office leases and vendor contracts.
- Ensure that office operations are effectively and efficiently administered, and the safety and well-being of CMMB staff, premises and assets are properly secured.
- Lead and supervise all direct reports, and in so doing, establish an effective, efficient and collaborative team.
- Ensure the timely implementation of CMMB’s performance management system for direct and indirect reports, including job descriptions, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Address performance and other issues through regular, constructive and honest feedback and coaching.
- Identify staff development needs, retention challenges and succession strategies.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting or Administration, masters degree preferred.
- CPA (K) or ACCA Finalist
- 7-10 years’ experience in Finance with 5 of these being in a senior finance management position in development, in the international NGO sector.
- Demonstrable experience of administration and procurement, country office management, and excellent knowledge of grants management with various donors.
- Experience with proposal development with a range of international donors (USAID, UN agencies, etc.).
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize and work effectively under time pressure.
- Strategic thinker and with knowledge to develop a competitive advantage for CMMB programs.
- Demonstrated record that reflects high ethical standards and fiscal stewardship, good business judgement and financial acumen.
- Strong people leader with experience in coaching and negotiation skills.
- Talented in building the trust of others and fostering collaborative relationships.
- Models teamwork behavior and team building skills.
Terms of offer
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day.
We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow.
We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their application together with resume / CV to [email protected] indicating position applied for on the subject line by 24th June 2017.
Include telephone and email contacts of 3 references and your daytime telephone/cellphone contact.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about us, visit our website at www.cmmb.org.