Overview: The WASH Specialist is responsible for overseeing the implementation of civil engineering and social aspects of WASH components.
- Coordinate and thoroughly implement field activities and operations as scheduled in project documents in a professional manner.
- Under take water quality (microbial, physical and chemical) analysis of treated water using potable water quality kit, as per water quality technical guidelines approved by the government/WHO.
- Assist in preparation of water and sanitation implementation plans or proposals for possible funding.
- Organize appropriate trainings in the project area as scheduled.
- Ensure that program inputs are procured, handled and distributed responsibly.
- Sensitize the community both formally and informally on their role in sustainable water supply and hygiene practices.
- Ensure that selected communities are given skills and knowledge in the use of sustainable methods and techniques that will ensure clean water supply and hygiene practices.
- Effectively undertake any other duties that may be appropriately assigned by the supervisor.
- Regularly liaise with the relevant Stakeholders and other NGOs involved in water and sanitation interventions for effective implementation of project activities in the operational area.
- Conduct field trips for visitors to the project area.
- Compile monthly activity reports for inclusion in the qualitative and quantitative reports submitted to Country Office, and contribute to the other reports as required.
- Supervise community groups undertaking water supply and hygiene interventions in a professional manner.
- Provide timely and appropriate advice to the respective groups, ensuring that the groups are duly introduced to the government staff for future follow-up.
- Provide support to sectorial teams at the County level, e.g. Water in order to strengthen overall impact of targeted program interventions.
- Provide technical advice and support to the country office to plan and organize capacity building programs for community water management, water quality surveillance and response planning, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Identify training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of program/project.
- Provide technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing.
- Ensure critical gaps in information, knowledge and understanding relating to water supply, water safety, water resource management and sanitation and hygiene promotion are recognized and addressed by stakeholders in the project location.
- Create inter-sectorial learning alliances, analyze documents and share best practices.
- Analyze existing WASH sector policies and policy environment, governance and institutional bottlenecks, systems of management, risk allocation and coordination systems around WASH sector programs relevant for beneficiaries.
- Recommend corrective actions to be taken by the country office to improve efficiency and effectiveness of WASH sector programs to ensure adequate focus on proposed intervention in Mutomo area.
- Convene strategic partnerships to impact on overall beneficiaries to support WASH programs and resources in Mutomo, Kitui.
- Participate in meetings with Ministries/Departments/stakeholders responsible for programs/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
- Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation.
- Everything else that it takes to live out our mission and keep a good sense of humor.
- You have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in WASH programs in rural/urban settings and you have a bachelors’ or masters’ degree in environmental/public health, water management or related field.
- You have excellent coordination and networking skills including liaison with WASH stakeholders.
- You have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and data analysis software, and you have good analytical skills.
- You have the ability to work and communicate in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience in resource mobilization and proposal writing will be an advantage, as well as working in hardship areas.
- You believe in CMMB’s mission and vision and in creating healthier lives worldwide.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV, cover letter, copy of testimonials and three referees and daytime telephone to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We believe in a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all: We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her: We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods. We’re making an impact – learn more.
We believe in people: We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day. We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Read more from our President & CEO below.
A message from Bruce Wilkinson, President and CEO of CMMB – Healthier Lives Worldwide:
As president of CMMB, I would like to thank you for your interest in joining with us on our journey to bring healthier lives to women, children and their families worldwide. CMMB has embarked on our second century of service to the most marginalized.
We are always looking to join hands with experienced professionals who want to add their energy to our work, and are so pleased you are considering CMMB as your potential employer.
The position of WASH Specialist is critical to our mission and vision. I welcome your interest in joining a diverse, talented, professional and motivated team.