Database Administrator – Data Warehouse & Analytics
Are you looking for an employer who promotes individual excellence and mutual respect in a team-driven culture with a key focus on social empowerment? The Co-operative Bank of Kenya, “The Kingdom Bank” is the place for those looking to new horizons.
If so, the vacant Database Administrator position at our ICT Department is the perfect opportunity for you! We are looking for a seasoned database administrator with a knack for end-to-end proactive database design and management, a gritty never-say-die doer who relishes challenges, is dynamic, resilient, creative and highly-motivated.
The role holder will ensure performance monitoring and management of database, data warehouse components, Infrastructure, and general ICT systems through setting up of optimal performance bench marks and the use of modern best practice and appropriate tools to meet business performance growth demands, ensure system security, business continuity and competitiveness in product and service development.
Database Administrator Job Responsibilities In Kenya
Specifically, the successful jobholder will be required to:
- Monitor performance and manage parameters to provide fast query responses to front-end users ensuring performance of production data warehouse databases including systems logs, events and event correlation and maintaining performance statistics and setting baseline statistics.
- Monitor and manage the high availability components including RAC, Dataguard, RMAN, ASM for key databases and related components as well as ensure best practice in the installation of database management systems (RDBMS); ensure compliance with RDBMS license agreements and maintain upgrades and critical patches.
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans and ensure that storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning properly and ensure 24/7 available support for the data warehouse and related systems.
- Take lead role in the various I.T. audits in providing necessary information and enforcing closure of audit, change management and compliance issues in the data warehouse environment and also manage key I.T. risks for data warehouse database systems and ensure proper mitigation; Business Continuity Planning (BCP) and disaster recovery preparedness through periodic testing as scheduled and update of disaster recovery procedures and sharing the results with management.
- Team up with analytics applications support, development and infrastructure team in the development, implementation, management applications, infrastructure, and monitor system health in order to proactively identify weaknesses and address them.
- Perform data modelling tasks such as business models, logical models and dimensional models to effectively convert business requirements to technical requirements in conjunction with data warehouse developers.
- Establish the needs of users and monitoring user access and security, control data warehouse access permissions and privileges, consider both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users and further refine the physical design to meet system storage requirements.
- Create and maintain data warehouse documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata) as well as maintaining all technical documentation relating to data warehouse maintenance, management and configuration.
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure data integrity and security and continually monitor security events in the network, take corrective actions and generate reports for management.
- Attend to system failure and resolve/coordinate resolution of the problem and handle queries from analytics application support, resolve problems in a timely manner and advice accordingly.
- Establish and maintain business relationships with vendors, consultants and other outside entities providing services to the bank. Monitor performance of the SLAs to ensure that the database gets maximum value from the services
Qualifications For Database Administrator Jobs In Kenya
The successful candidate will be required to have the following skills and competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline, or equivalent.
- 3 -5 years in database technology with experience deploying data warehousing technologies (e.g., High Availability, Data Warehousing, Backup, Partitioning, Online Data replication) in production environments
- Oracle RDBMS 11g/12c OCP certification as well as strong SQL and PLSQL skills including data warehouse objects such as partitions and materialized views
- Skills in Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, OLAP, and Data mining as well Familiarity with ICT standards such as ITIL, COBIT, and Proficiency in various operating systems like Unix, Linux, windows.
- Thorough knowledge on data profiling, data modeling and data validation and associated tools, Skills in
- Database Sizing, Storage, Performance, and Security Considerations
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze and correlate complex data and excellent knowledge on the Oracle
- Technology stack as well as excellent knowledge of ICT system architectures, platforms and Infrastructure
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical issues and exhibit a wide degree of creativity and latitude coupled with the ability to lead and direct the work of others without the benefit of a direct reporting relationship as well as the ability to utilize independent judgment and to support senior managers on operational criticality
- General awareness of the banking industry ICT operations and security procedures.
How to Apply
If you are confident that you fit the role and person profile and you are keen to add value to your career then please forward your application enclosing detailed Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com indicating the job reference number DBA/2/HRD/2015 by 5th October, 2015 We are an equal opportunity employer.