Are you looking for an employer who promotes individual excellence and mutual respect in a team-driven culture with a key focus on social empowerment? The Co-operative Bank of Kenya, “The Kingdom Bank” is the place for those looking to new horizons.
CHIEF RISK OFFICER
As the Chief Risk Officer, the job holder is expected to lead and manage the Group Risk Management function by providing leadership and guidance in ensuring effective posture on enterprise risk management and governance as well as adhering to the risk management framework of the Bank.
This is a high profile role that requires a seasoned, result oriented Risk Management professional with excellent leadership skills.
Chief Risk Officer Role in Kenya
The successful jobholder is expected to develop and implement an appropriate enterprise risk management framework in the Bank by integrating risk management with the Bank’s strategy and specifically be responsible for:
• Managing the implementation of all aspects of the risk function, including implementation of processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure, manage, monitor and report risks.
• Planning, designing and implementing an overall risk management process that includes BASEL II and ICAAP standards for the organization and monitor the management of all risks, thereby ensuring the overall effectiveness of the process of corporate governance through the Risk Management Framework.
• Acting as the focal point for risk management across the Group and support the Executive Board and Senior Management in taking informed business decisions based on accurate and timely information on the exposure to risks as well as work with the business to ensure adequate mitigating controls are in place which manage overall risk exposure to within limits set by the Executive Board.
• Assisting in the development of and managing processes to identify and evaluate business areas’ risks and risk and control self-assessments as well as managing the process for developing risk policies and procedures, risk limits and approval authorities.
• On-going monitoring of the risk-taking activities and risk exposures to ensure they are in line with the board-approved risk appetite, risk limits and corresponding capital or liquidity needs (i.e. capital planning).
• Establishing an early warning or trigger system for breaches of the bank’s risk appetite or limits and influencing and, when necessary, challenging material risk decisions; and be actively engaged in the process of setting risk measures and limits for the various business lines and monitoring their performance relative to risk-taking and limit adherence.
• Developing Stress Test programs and conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis, using stress tests and scenario analyses to better understand potential risk exposures under a variety of adverse circumstances as well as Conducting compliance & risk assessments.
• Managing the corporate risk and control assessment reporting process as well as manage and maintain infrastructure elements (e.g. management reporting, including reporting to senior management).
• Monitoring of loan and investment portfolio quality as well as stress testing of the Bank’s financial variables in relation to environmental changes and impact on Bank’s performance.
• Risk reporting to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis and ensuring that business lines comply with risk parameters and prudential limits established by the board as well as supporting the board in its implementation, review and approval of the enterprise-wide risk governance framework which includes the bank’s risk culture, risk appetite, RAS and risk limits.
• Conducting audits of policy and compliance to standards, including liaison with internal and external auditors and preparation of ad hoc thematic papers on topical issues affecting the bank’s performance and analysis of outstanding risk management issues that affect performance.
• Cascade the proper risk management practices to the staff members in the organization with the aim of having a proper Group-wide Risk Awareness culture and developing and managing the business continuity processes as well as lead on related projects.
• Developing and actively engaging the business units in the development, testing for robustness and the implementation of the Bank’s Business Continuity Plan.
• Manage and monitor operational risks with specific focus on ICT risks, market risk management, middle office as well as Treasury.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes for Risk Officer Jobs in Kenya
• Bachelor’s degree in a business related field with an inclination to risk management, audit and at least 10 years demonstrated experience in risk management in the banking sector.
• Detailed understanding of current best practice ideas, and experience of applying those ideas in practical situations.
• Excellent knowledge of CBK prudential guidelines on Risk Management and good knowledge of Basel II requirements in the banking sector as well as the
• Banking Act with strong emphasis on lending.
• Ability to exploit information technology to develop effective information networks and management information that adds value to the business.
• Have an entrepreneurial mindset with sound business insight, good customer relationship skills coupled with a demonstrable project management skills.
• Excellent influencing skills, communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate complex issues clearly and succinctly to a
• non-technical audience Good report writing and presentation skills.
How to Apply
If you are confident that you fit the role and person profile and you are keen to add value to your career then please forward your application enclosing detailed Curriculum Vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the job reference number RM/3/HRD/2015 by 16th October, 2015.