RECRUITMENT OF ACTIONAID INTERNATIONAL RWANDA (AAIR) COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
Action Aid International Rwanda (AAIR) is a country programme of ActionAid International (AAI) – an anti-poverty agency working with poor, voiceless people, communities and similar-minded partners worldwide. ActionAid is a non-partisan, non-religious development organisation that has been working in Rwanda as a full Country Programme since 1997 to contribute towards eradication of poverty and injustices with a focus on tackling the root causes of poverty. The organisation is primarily concerned with the promotion and defence of economic, social, cultural, civil and political human rights. AAIR has very strong commitment to supporting delivery of Governement programmes and strategies including EDPRS and Vision 2020.
Our vision and mission is a society free of poverty and injustice where every citizen fully enjoys the right to life with dignity. ActionAid International Rwanda is implementing its five year strategic plan since 2013 to 2017 and undergoing a Management Development Process for better effectiveness and efficiency to deliver on its mandate to the people of Rwanda at the community and district level and at National level for policy influence and Advocacy.
AAIR is seeking for applications from well qualified and self-motivated persons to fill the position of a Communications Intern
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This intern shall work under the direct supervision of the communications officer and work harmoniously with the Program and Policy team to build a strong and credible profile, image and reputation of AAIR using effective, creative and innovative communication tools. The intern’s work will support the program team to raise the profile and improve the visibility of the programs and partnerships of AAI Rwanda at local, national and international levels and enhancing regular interaction, dialogue and communication with the key stakeholders of AAIR, including rights holders (women, children, youth and other people living in poverty) partners, AAI supporters,
The internship opportunity also aims at exposing young graduates to the work of Actionaid international in Rwanda, thus giving the required practical experience to the successful candidate.
The intern shall report to the communications officer and or Head of Programs and Policy who shall also be the Supervisor;
• Supporting in documentation of AAIR programmes and initiatives at different levels and production of publications;
• Networking and representation of AAIR Country Programme whenever delegated by the communication officer;
• Support in Fundraising and Sponsorship activities to raise the CP’s profile by taking and profiling child photos;
• Management and updates of the AAIR Website, Social media sites and HIVE sites.
• Support in writing, editing and supervision of the production and dissemination of AAIR publications communication and information materials (e.g. newsletters, magazines, press releases, Media and policy briefs, brochures, flyers, posters, videos etc.) and Produces internal and external newsletters, press releases, AAIR magazine, brochures, flyers and posters. Also assists in the production of audio and video productions.
o Support Fundraising and Sponsorship and Programme Teams and AAIR partners in writing and editing of Community Newsletters and production of Reports
• Compilation of significant stories of change and testimonies from rights holders (Women, children, youth and other people living in poverty), partners and other stakeholders of the programme.
• Support team in compilation of best practices/ success stories and case studies.
• Support in design, production and dissemination of the AAIR Annual Reports, Progress Reports and Country Strategy Plan.
• Support in Organising and co-facilitation of commemorations/anniversaries of International/Regional events at National, local and partner levels (e.g. International Women’s Day, 16 Days of Gender Activism, World Food Day, Rural Women’s Days, Day of African Child, World AIDS day, International Human Rights Day etc.)
Under the supervision of the Communications officer, the Intern shall also work closely with the following teams:
• Head of Programmes, Programme staff, Fundraising and Sponsorship staff
• Rights Holders, Partner Staff, Board members and communities being served by the partners
• Resource Persons, Consultants and Facilitators appointed by AAIR and partners
• Local and external Media.
• Local authorities, Community leaders, Government Departments/Ministries, Parliamentarians, Politicians in areas or districts where AAIR partners are operating and at National level.
o Other likeminded organizations including local and international NGOs and other civil society groups, UN and donor agencies.
Required qualification and experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree gained from a recognised College or University i.e. either in Communications, Media studies and or Journalism.
• No experience required;
Other requirements and competences
• Strong command in oral and written English and Kinyarwanda as well as a working Knowledge of French.
• High skills level in using different Computer software packages for producing various publications
• A flair for writing and finding the good stories.
• Experience working with new media/web will be an added advantage.
• Interpersonal communication skills and proven skills in teamwork.
• Ability and willingness to work with people of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Duration of internship: Six (6) months with possibility of extension to 1 year.
Actionaid is an equal opportunity Employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested and Qualified candidates should submit their application letter and CV to [email protected] not later than 23rd September, 2015 at 5:00pm.
NB: Note that an intern is not a member of staff of Actionaid International Rwanda and shall not be paid a salary but will earn a stipend as per existing internal policies
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.