Rwanda Country Programme, Kigali Rwanda
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We work together, with partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. Save the Children works in thirteen districts in Rwanda with a current staff complement of approximately 94 staff.
SC Rwanda Country Office seeks to hire qualified, committed and experienced nationals to fill the following position.
Communications Intern– Rwanda Programme
Place of Work: Kigali with frequent travels to field areas
Staff directly reporting to this post: Senior Program Planning and Development Specialist
Tentative start date: End – August 2015.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Senior Program Planning and Development Specialist, the Communication Intern will be responsible for all communication activities related to raising the profile of Save the Children Rwanda and ensure its voice and reputation as a leading child focused organization- in the media and public sphere, internationally, regionally and nationally.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
– Support the CO to effectively implement the Communications Plan
– Support the CO to develop accurate, high quality, user-friendly, child-centred communications and media materials.
– In collaboration with program staff, develop case studies and ‘success stories’ to showcase the impact of Save the Children’s programmes in Rwanda, following SCI guidelines
– Responsible for updating/editing the SC Rwanda external website and OneNet platform
– Responsible for the content and editing of the SC Rwanda newsletter (biannual)
– Explore social media/ network opportunities for SC Rwanda and ways to input to SC EARO communication media ie. Feed into the Regional Newsletter ‘Mashariki’
– Create news articles, uploading documents and updating information on Save the Children’s Intranet and liaising with IT to resolve issues
– Develop media contacts/links and media database and actively build relationships with key media people influencers to raise organisational profile
– Support team members to ensure that all external communication materials e.g. publications, handouts, brochures, invitations , power point presentations, etc meet SCI branding
– Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
– Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve
– performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
– Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal
– development and encourages others to do the same
– Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
– Future orientated, thinks strategically
– Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
– Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
– Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
– Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
– Willing to take disciplined risks
– Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor degree in communication or related field
• Interest in photography/media work that can support collecting high-quality photographs and case studies from communities
• Experience of leading communication activities (including information management)
• Very good English skills
• High level of computer literacy
• Ability to liaise with a diverse range of people and stakeholders, from community to national-level;
• High level of attention to details and quality;
• Willingness to travel to field locations
• Availability to start immediately
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus an updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees to mailto: [email protected] The deadline for receiving applications is 25th August 2015.