Communications Assistant Job at World Wide Fund
WWF has an opening through its Youth Volunteer Internship Programme for a communications intern for a 6-month assignment with the WWF Regional Office for Africa based in Kenya, Nairobi.
Please note this opening is addressed to Kenyan nationals only.
Location: WWF Regional Office for Africa (based in Kenya, Nairobi)
Assignment dates: 6 months, dates to be determined
Language required: English, ideally French
Age Category: 19-27 years
Communications Assistant Job Major Functions
- Provide support to WWF’s communications operations in Africa at regional and country level for the purpose of establishing a regular and quality presence of WWF in the media to build outreach and engagement.
- Provide support for WWF Africa Office’s conservation communications priorities by integrating WWF’s Africa communications staff through development of a communications calendar, support for key regional and international events/platforms, etc.
- Provide support for WWF’s media work in Africa including the development of Press Releases, feeding websites and triggering interest through social media, and provide the WWF network with regular updates.
Communications Assistant Job Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Support WWF Africa Office management through provision of communications materials, updates, etc presenting WWF’s work across Africa and specific conservation successes;
- Supports the achievement of WWF Africa Office’s conservation communications priorities through development of a communications calendar for Africa, identifying important platforms and events, as well as conservation successes that can be used to build WWF’s profile;
- Develops links with all WWF communications staff across Africa, and organises a regular (monthly) update call
- Develops links with WWF International’s Communications and Marketing Dept (CMD) and key WWF offices to provide regular updates and communications materials on WWF’s Africa work
- Assist Africa communications staff to develop and strengthen working relations with media within the region
- Provide support for the maintenance of a lively WWF Africa Office website, ensure regular updates, and assist with WWF’s social media presence: Twitter, Facebook, Flickr etc.
- Develop compelling stories (press releases, feature stories) that maximize readership, targeting the most strategic media
- Provide monthly report of communications activities within the region
- Other activities as defined by the WWF Africa Office management team
Required Qualifications for Communications Assistant Job
- Basic degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising and or marketing;
- Proven experience and track records in writing for development/conservation; web maintenance and writing; efficient use of social media in southern contexts;
Required Skills and Competencies for Communications Assistant Job
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English, and ideally French;
- Interest and ability in video production and/or photography as well as in graphic design;
- Computer literacy;
- Keen interest and passion for conservation/environmental issues;
- Cultural adaptability and sensitivity;
- Working knowledge of WWF Network, especially WWF in Africa.
- Internal: Interacts and works closely work closely with other countries’ communications officers, thematic regional Coordinators, Country Directors and other conservation staff in Central Africa, under the supervision of WWF’s Africa Office management. Liaises with colleagues across the WWF Network working in communications.
- External: Interacts as required with journalists, media and some partners.
- This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may
- be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
How to Apply
Please complete the online Application Form here. If you already submitted a spontaneous online application in the past, please inform of your interest in this assignment by email. Deadline to apply: 10 July 2016