An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Communications Manager to communicate the successes of our organization as we enter into an era of growth. As we seek to build new relationships with national governments, funders, multilateral agencies, and other key stakeholders, we are looking for an enthusiastic imaginative and creative individual, with a proven track record of developing compelling communications materials to an international audience. Reporting to the Executive Director, the post holder will work as part of a small but dynamic team.
The Pan-African Mosquito Control Association (PAMCA) is a pan-African professional body that brings together players in the field of mosquito and mosquito-borne disease control. PAMCA draws its membership from a diverse community of scientists from entomologists, parasitologists, social scientists, microbiologists to vector control technicians. PAMCA’s membership also comprises government agencies, research institutions, non-governmental organisations, academic institutions, student community and industry practitioners in mosquito vector control. PAMCA exists to provide a platform for capacity building, knowledge sharing and collaboration for concerted vector control initiatives in the African continent. PAMCA’s overarching goal is to bring together African scientists and other partner institutions, to work together and adopt common approaches to tackling the burden of mosquito-borne diseases across the continent.
PAMCA was formed in 2009 and registered as a non-governmental organisation in Kenya in 2011 with its headquarters located at the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Nairobi. PAMCA is led by a board of management whose members are drawn from Kenya, Tanzania, Burkina Faso, Cameroon and United Kingdom.
In the context of our mission, PAMCA is seeking a consultant to assist the PAMCA team with its strategic objectives of raising awareness of our work and support fundraising through various communications and media relations efforts including revamping PAMCA website per recommendations of the PAMCA team and in collaboration with an IT contractor as needed, developing press releases, liaising with international and global health media outlets and developing messages and long-term strategies for the use of social media (Twitter, Youtube and Facebook among others) to promote PAMCA’s work. The External Communications Consultant will also work closely with the Executive Director and the Programme Manager to develop and implement a communications strategy for relationship management for members, donors and potential supporters to meet short and long-term goals of the organisation.
Communications Manager Job Main Responsibilities
- Develop an internal communication strategy for the secretariat and the board to ensure seamless flow of all forms of communication
- Provide training to the secretariat and the board on the communication strategy, organisational branding and best practices
- Attend weekly staff and other meetings as needed, compile and disseminate minutes of the meetings to the secretariat and the board as appropriate.
- Develop communications materials and coordinate media engagement for events and activities, (annual conference, scientific symposia, etc.) targeted at strategic partners, members and other stakeholders to promote PAMCA and increase unrestricted income for PAMCA in collaboration with a fundraising consultant.
- Write press releases pertaining PAMCA activities and publications
- Create major gift materials, including brochures, pamphlets, briefing memos and cases for support as necessary
- Develop standardised PAMCA-themed organisational document templates e.g. letter heads, contracts, JDs and maintain a filing database of the same
- Manage the organisation’s brand and reputation by assisting in the restructuring and regular updates of the PAMCA’s website to meet the desired outcomes of the PAMCA team, in collaboration with a contracted website programmer as needed.
- Regularly review the website and provide updates on matters of functionality, performance and activity and make recommendations for improvements as appropriate
- Support staff and consultants with various priority projects that include communications campaigns, day-to-day media outreach, content development, etc.
- Conduct research of relevant information about PAMCA’s work for media outreach, reports, press releases, infographics, etc.
- Support media outreach by developing a media database.
- Support media monitoring of PAMCA coverage, especially during high level meetings and field visits, through online research.
- Create quarterly media coverage reports and present the reports to the secretariat and the board
- Write press releases pertaining PAMCA activities and publications
- Conduct interviews with PAMCA members and external stakeholders to write short news updates, blog posts, Q&As, etc.
- Organizing and executing email campaigns within an email service provider
- Assist with reporting, analytics, and optimization tactics for continual improvement of PAMCA promotion.
- Build, populate and maintain database of prospects, using the database as a live tool to steward the cultivation of relationships between PAMCA and its partners
- Support PAMCA’s social media outreach by researching, identifying, creating relevant content for Twitter, Facebook, YouTube; so as to expand PAMCA’s social media presence and engagement.
- An external communications strategy, in line with PAMCA’s overall strategy and in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Programme Manager.
- Marketing and Promotion materials targeted at members, stakeholders and potential donors in various formats
- Editorials, press releases and other publications
- Align media output and other communications with PAMCA’s Fundraising Strategy
- Compile a Donor prospecting database to support income generation
- Day to day communications in various formats: social media, website, email, press release, etc.
Technical skills, knowledge and experience
- Ability to synthesise, articulate and coherently communicate issues to scientific and general audience both orally and in written format
- Experience in brand management/public relations initiatives in a busy organisation
- Experience in producing technical promotional materials
- Ability to tell a story in a compelling manner
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (MS Access, MS Excel, MS Word etc)
- Experience in science communication
- Knowledge and experience in generating press releases, technical reports, newsletters and brochures
- Hands on experience tracking Google analytics to monitor web traffic
- Knowledge and experience in updating content on the web, trouble-shooting and web performance optimisation
- Working knowledge of graphics design
- Experiencing in managing organisational social media platforms
- Experience in email marketing
- Knowledge and experience in handling and editing video and still photos
Personal skills and attributes
- Passion and drive for science communication
- Versatility in using different media to for internal and external communication
- Good organisational skills
- Keen attention to details
- Ability to prioritise tasks and deliver within deadlines
- Open-minded and willing to learn
- Team spirit
- Ascribe to the highest standards of work ethics
Qualifications for the Communications Manager Job
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communication with 3-5 years’ experience in a similar position in a busy organisation
Duration of the position
- This position will be initially available for one year beginning Jan 2017 with a possibility of extension
How to Apply
Applicants expressing interest in this position should submit a cover letter clearly outlining their qualifications, skills and competences, an updated CV and a 1-2-page sample of their most recent writing piece to [email protected] on or before 25th November 2016.