Conservation International is seeking an experienced HR professional to support our Africa + Madagascar Field Division. Based in Nairobi, Kenya and reporting to the Senior Director, Field Human Resources, this position will be a key member of the Africa + Madagascar Field Division Leadership team and Global Human Resources. The successful candidate will lead, implement and facilitate the development of a highly effective, strategic HR function within Africa to ensure the organization has the right structure, culture and talent needed to deliver on its objectives. The HR Business Partner will provide strategic and proactive input on high risk/complex issues, organizational design, and talent management and ensure comprehension and compliance with relevant internal and external policies, laws and regulations.
The HR Business Partner will have a unique opportunity to leverage skills and a global mindset to participate in the development of organizational tools, resources, and processes and then lead the implementation of these on the ground. The successful candidate will leverage expertise in employee relations issues, local labor law, compensation and benefits, recruitment, and training and development to support our country programs in Liberia, Botswana, Kenya, South Africa and Madagascar. S/he should thrive on supporting a dynamic work place, contributing to team projects, and leveraging their HR skills, talents, and expertise to effectively partner and bring HR into strategic discussions and decision-making processes.
The position requires international travel required not to exceed 25% of time and ability to work non-traditional and extended hours to support a global workforce.
- Serve as a strategic partner to determine workforce needs, identify human resource and competency gaps, and drive the development of a staffing plan to promote staff development and retention.
- Review and approve job position requests, job descriptions and make recommendations for ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Advise and assist in recruitment and selection and orientation processes, ensuring that policy, statutory and best practice requirements are satisfied. This may include leading select recruitments and participating in selection panels as necessary.
- Manage the local introduction of new or revised policy, annual programs and processes to include delivery of local workshops, ensuring that local operations and managers are appropriately equipped and supported.
- Manage non-national staff contracting process including work permit acquisition, documentation, renewal, relocation resources and collaboration to ensure full compliance with local immigration, labor, benefits and tax statutes.
- Implement collaborative actions to facilitate evaluation and development of HR capacity and infrastructure at the regional and local levels. Build knowledge, expertise, and capacity leveraging internal and external resources.
- Support the annual performance management and talent management processes.
- Carry-out daily HR-related administrative duties such as updating contracts, generating employee reports and executing compliance-related activities with all existing legal and government reporting requirements.
- Manage employee relations which may include acting as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements.
- Deliver critical training to ensure employees, managers, and teams have resources, tools and support development needs. Partnering with Learning and Development, conduct development needs assessments. Support the identification of network of regional trainers, workshops, consultants and other professional development resources to meet these local development needs at limited cost.
- Work hand-in-hand with Learning and Development team to ensure that global learning opportunities are available, aligned and integrated with talent management processes.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Required Experience And Skills
- Bachelor’s degree and 7-10 years of Human Resources experiences or any similar combination of education and experience
- Working knowledge of multiple human resources disciplines including staffing, workforce planning, recruiting, employee relations, compensation practices, performance management, and relevant employment laws
- Persuasive and engaging communication, presentation, training and facilitation skills to clearly convey objectives to diverse audiences and stakeholders
- Ability to consult and partner with internal clients across various teams and countries
- Experience in solving complex issues through analysis, defining a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Ability to make quick decisions, to be diligent with responses, and work to find solution driven conclusions and work collaboratively across many audiences
- Highly organized and self-directed. Proven ability to set priorities, and meet critical priorities. Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and under minimal supervision
- Excellent and persuasive oral and written communications skills; professionally assertive with ability to influence without formal authority and capable of managing conflict and conflicting views
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Demonstrated ability to work, manage, and meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment and on deadline; aptitude for problem solving and decision making needed
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and ability to learning and successfully navigate in collaboration tools such as SharePoint
Preferred Experience And Skills
- Strong working knowledge of HRIS systems
- SPHR, GPHR, CIPD or other HR professional certification preferred
- HR experience or knowledge in the area of Talent Management
- Experience in managing blended and online learning initiatives
- Experience working in an international non-profit organization
Applications must be received in English and include a cover letter of intent.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here