The role holder will be responsible for providing leadership for underwriting, claims and other areas of general management as well as ensure delivery of service that meets and exceeds customer expectations. They will also be responsible for ensuring operational processes and service standards are aligned to Group Operations. The role will report to the Chief Executive Officer – Malawi.
- Ensure that the underwriting policies are observed at all times and reflect the company’s strategic risk management framework.
- Ensure that the claims policies are observed at all times and reflect the company’s strategic risk management framework.
- Ensure that the company meets operations efficiency in claims and underwriting procedures.
- Carry out market intelligence to ensure the company is in tandem with industry trends and adopts pricing mechanisms that ensure profitability.
- Put in place control mechanisms that enable a measure of service satisfaction by agents, brokers, customers and the regulator.
- Put in place standards for interdepartmental service level agreements that will improve the company’s service ratings.
- Set and monitor operational budgets.
- Ensure that service to customers and producers meets their expectations.
- Manage key relationships with clients, intermediaries and service providers in the market.
- Supervise, appraise, train & develop staff in the department.
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balance scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business related course. Master’s Degree is an added advantage.
- Professional qualification in Insurance (ACII/AIIK/FLMI).
- Over ten (10) years successful insurance experience four (4) of which should be in a senior management position.
- Customer, market and competitor understanding.
- Knowledge of insurance regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of underwriting and claims procedures and processes.
- Deciding and Initiating Action: Ensures key departmental objectives are met, takes responsibility for decisions, actions, projects and people while focusing on achievement of departmental results; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; makes quick, clear decisions with limited information available which may include tough choices or considered risks; decisions and actions takes into account possible impact on all parts of the business.
- Leading and Supervising: Provides the department with a clear direction based on the overall strategic intent of the organisation; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive departmental climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledge high potential talent; sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour.
- Persuading and Influencing: Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating to the benefit of the department, promotes the organisational strategy during departmental conversations; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of the department; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the department’s impression and brand on others.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts: Works strategically to realise organisational goals within the department; sets and develops departmental strategies; identifies and develops positive and compelling visions of the department’s future potential; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to, the organisation; encourage others to take a strategic and long term view in terms of the department’s future; communicates the organisational strategy, vision and objectives effectively across all levels in the department.
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking: Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the department; maintains awareness of developments, changes, trends and possible risks in the department’s structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; ensure costs are monitored and controlled and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value.
- Planning and Organising: Sets clearly defined departmental objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors departmental performance against deadlines and milestones.
Monday, June 19, 2017
Bachelor’s degree in a business related course and professional qualification in Insurance (ACII or equivalent).