CVT Vacancy Announcement
Job Title: Human Resources Officer – National Staff
Location: Dadaab, Kenya
Commences: December 2015
Reports to: Field Coordinator.
General Program Description: The Centre for Victims of Torture (CVT) is an international non-governmental organization whose headquarters is based in Minneapolis, USA.
Founded in 1985, CVT was one of the first organizations in the US dedicated to providing care and rehabilitative services earning international recognition as a provider of psychosocial training and direct services for Torture and War Trauma Survivors.
Since then CVT has worked in Guinea, DRC, Sierra Leone and Kenya in Africa and Jordan in the Middle East.
The mission of CVT is to heal the wounds of persons affected by torture and war trauma and also to lobby at a broader state level.
CVT has worked in Kenya for the past two years and is based in Dadaab to address the mental health needs of survivors of torture and war trauma in the refugee camp.
To contribute in CVT Program implementation and Ensure that the project timeline is respected and that indicator targets are achieved by performing following main tasks:
• Management of Personnel according to CVT Policy and Kenyan Labor Law
• Management of Communication system of the Dadaab office
• Other areas of responsibility as assigned by the Field Coordinator.
Major areas of accountability; core Responsibilities and Tasks
Management of Personnel according to CVT Policy and Kenyan Labor Law
Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator the Human Resource Officer will be accountable for any task related and not limited to the management of Human Resource:
• Respect the Kenyan labor Law and CVT Kenya Policy Manual for any matter related to human resources
• Make sure that hiring process, promotion, demotion, firing of Dadaab staff ensure the principal of equal opportunity and are in accordance with CVT Kenya Policy Manual and the Labor law of the Republic of Kenya;
• Create and maintain an efficient Filing System for all the Personnel
• Contribute in putting in place a performance appraisal system for the workers
• Participate for performance appraisal of staff
• Prepare schedule for staff annual leave
• Keep records and files of the Personnel: sick days, NSSF, contracts tracts, leave days, HELBS, NHIF, other leaves etc
• Prepare and keep a Log book for timesheet and daily working hours
• Approve monthly payrolls submitted by Finance Officer
• Prepare and help to make large diffusion of any Memo related to the Personnel
• In collaboration with the Nairobi HR/Admin Officer, Finance Officer and Finance Controller, follow up the performance of the medical service provider (insurance) for CVT’s staff use
• Make sure each staff member understands the Policy Manual and is aware of his rights and obligations related to the contract
• Protect the confidentiality of personnel and individual information
• Conflict prevention, resolution and management
• Prepare a peaceful working atmosphere
• Assist the Nairobi HR/Admin Officer in making travel arrangements on (ECHO flights and UNHCR flights) to and from Dadaab
Management of Communication system in the Dadaab project
Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator, the Human Resources Officer will be accountable for:
• Management the distribution of office communication to staff and other CVT locations as appropriate
• Propose and implement efficient communication system among CVT staff in Dadaab and in other projects if necessary
• Keep an inventory of all incoming and outgoing communications
How to Apply
Please write a letter of application stating clearly what motivates you to apply for the above position and how your qualifications and experience meet the requirements of the person specification. Include a copy of your CV, and the names of three referees.
Do not send original documents as these will not be returned to you. At the end of your letter of application, please include the statement: “I certify that the information included in this application is true and correct.” Sign this declaration and put the date beside your signature. Submitting false information/Canvassing shall result to disqualification.
Deliver all applications in soft copy to ([email protected] ) and hard copies to our program offices in Dadaab /Nairobi.
Applications must be received by 5 pm on November 6th 2015.
Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted.