Finance Assistant Job Opportunities at DAI, Kenya
DAI, a global development consulting firm, seeks applications from two qualified candidates for the Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (KIWASH) project.
The Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (KIWASH) Project is a five-year, USAID-funded project to improve lives and health through the development and management of sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene services in Kenya. Its purpose is to institutionalize catalytic models of sustainable service delivery for accelerated water and sanitation access in specific target counties and to improve complementary hygiene behaviors.
Finance Assistant Summary of Primary Duties in Kenya
- The Associate Field Accountant is a key member of the finance team.
- He or she will play a pivotal role in assuring adherence to financial policies, project policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems.
- The Associate Field Accountant will provide accounting and financial analysis support to the Field Accountant and Accounting Manager. He/she will support the submission of financial reports based on internal company deadlines.
- This position will ensure compliance of all accounting and financial reporting functions. The Associate Field Accountant will be responsible for recording costs and day to day general accounting, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, risk management, assuring all backup documentation is audit ready, and troubleshooting accounting issues.
- This position coversfor the Field Accountant in his or her absence. This position reports directly to the Accounting Manager.
- The Associate Field Accountant may perform other related duties as assigned.
- Monitors and submits advance, commitment, and grant reports as applicable
- Supports the reporting of expenses by regional offices (if applicable)
- Monitors and reports on partner/vendor payment schedules and obligations
- Assists in preparing information for any contractual financial reporting requirements (if applicable)
- Manages the VAT exemption process through timely submission of DA1 forms to USAID and real time updating of the VAT tracker.
- Supports preparation of internal and external audits
- Conducts daily reviews of backup documentation to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with DAI’s regulations
- Supports regular spot audits on project’s files.
- Ensures backup documentation is uploaded to relevant system according to set deadlines
Policies & Procedures
- Ensures that accounting policies and practices are carried out in accordance with GAAP standards; project internal controls are established and implemented in accordance with DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations and the terms of the contract.
- General Accounting/Financial Management
- Verifies vendor invoices for accuracy
- Verifies accuracy of expenses, and project accounting codes
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of invoices, advances and reimbursements, checks, and wire transfer payments
- Ensures request for payments have appropriate approvals
- Responsible for recording andassigning costs based on approved budget in field accounting system (FAS)
- Compiles backup documentation for all project related transactions, and ensures completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented
- If applicable, ensures petty cash is maintained according to maximum petty cash policy, and that all petty cash procedures are followed
- Responsible for maintaining file management systems for soft and hard copy documentation
- Supportsperiodic cash counts
Travel Advances & Reimbursements
- Audits travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance
- Follows procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel
- Reviews and monitors outstanding advances report by paying close attention to advances that have not been settled after 30 days of issuance.
- Uses field accounting system (FAS), cloud softwarefor backup documentation, and DAI’s operations system (TAMIS), etc. regularly
Scans and uploads voucher files to DAI’s System for the Electronic Archival of Financial Documentation – BOX
Qualifications for Finance Assistant Jobs in Kenya
- Bachelors’ Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
- 2+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration, project operations at the mid-level of an organization
- CPA Finalist is preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience managing USAID funded projects
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data
- Ability to respond effectively to the time sensitive inquiries
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Fluency in English is required.
Base of Operations
Nairobi and Kisumu Kenya
The Finance Assistants will report to the Accounting Manager.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should apply via the link here by April 26, 2016, 12:00 am East Africa Local time. Only candidates who send their information by applying through the link and by the deadline will be eligible.