ICT for Development Officer (ICT4D) Jobs at Danish Refugee Council
Libya is an important transit point for people in mixed migration flows. Each year tens of thousands of people pass through Libya and Egypt, in the hope of finding a safer or brighter future elsewhere.
The overall objective of the RMMS is to support agencies, institutions and forums in the West Africa, North Africa, the Middle East and the Horn of Africa to improve the management of protection and assistance response to people in mixed migration flows across these regions. RMMS is implementing the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4mi) to ensure an improved data collection and more authoritative analysis in the region.
The purpose is to manage and analyze data compiled by 4Mi Monitors and support project implementation in order to support a wide range of agencies, donors, governments, departments and academic institutions by providing more concrete and authoritative information concerning mixed migration flows and trend changes in flows. The objective is to inform policy, debate and programmatic response; to increase understanding of conditions and changing realities on ground and protection deficits etc.
The 4mi Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) Officer will assist the 4mi project manager as well as the RMMS Coordinator in a wide range of activities as part of the overall strategy of the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat.
ICT Job Key Responsibilities
- Strong developing skills. Incumbent must be comfortable working with different programming languages such as Djs, Java, Java Script, PHP, SQL.
- Conduct complex analytics and produce useful reports through technical software including Excel, STATA, R, Tableau or SPSS.
- Proficiency in data analysis. Able to manage, analyze, and organize data and be adept at analysis and interpretation of large quantities big data.
- Able to design relevant infographics that make data easy to consume on demand. Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Comfortable with Geographic Information Systems. QGIS, ARCGIS, CartoDB. Candidate must be able to map relevant coordinates, digitize maps and relevant routes. Collaborate with external GIS team in relevant geospatial work and in particular data collection, data cleaning/verification, analysis, rationalization and updating of the GIS database. Experience working with CartoDB will be helpful.
- Support in the development of 4mi strategy for its external database and its GIS platform.
- Able to manage multiple interactive social media platforms (for both RMMS and 4mi) and stay up to date with relevant news updates.
- Any additional work tasks in support of the RMMS/4Mi management.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications.
- Liaise with technical staff at other agencies concerned with migration, under the supervision of the 4Mi Project Manager.
- Close collaboration with 4Mi Project Manager on data analysis.
- Liaison with established refugee/migrantfocused agencies who may need to access relevant data, including IOM.
- Consistent and verified analysis of information about movements resulting in trends analysis.
- Quantitative and triangulated data and statistics on mixed migration flows disseminated on a constant basis to 4Mi team.
- Qualitative and quantitative information made available on constant basis concerning conditions en route, violations, number of deaths and disappearances, protection risks, economy of smuggling and trafficking, migrant intentions and aspirations etc.
Required Qualifications/Skills for the ICT Job
- Degree in computer science or any relevant IT degree.
- At least two year’s work experience in a relevant role.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated command of working with large quantities of data in Microsoft Excel and being able to conduct trends analysis.
- Understanding of advanced IT systems, including SPSS, Excel, GIS Mapping, CartoDB, Tableau, and android based smart phone settings and applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in a team and/or managing projects remotely.
- Maintains confidentiality on programming operations.
- Must work closely and collaboratively with RMMS and 4Mi staff in analyzing combined information sources.
- Enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits and finding new solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication aptitude.
- Written and verbal fluency in English.
- Creative and able to think outside the box.
- A Master’s degree in relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Useful IT certificates will also be an added advantage.
- Capable of working under minimal supervision.
The ICT4D Officer will report to the Project Manager – 4Mi.
Availability: December 2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract: This is a nine months’ contract.
National terms and conditions apply in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff.
- DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
- DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
- For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.dk
How to Apply
- Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
- We only accept applications sent via our online application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
- Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than 14 December, 2016.
- If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected] For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
- Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.