Job Title: Senior Research Associate
Organization: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Research Manager
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide. IPA discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world’s poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Job Summary: The Senior Research Associate will support the Innovations for Poverty Action in overseeing at least two evaluations: (1) Testing the long-term economic and socio-political impacts of an cash-grants based employment program, the Youth Opportunities Program (YOP), implemented by the Government of Uganda (GoU); and (2) Testing an intervention aimed at reducing the prevalence of vote buying during the upcoming Ugandan general election, implemented by the National Democratic Institute (NDI). The Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercises, refining study design and surveying instruments, managing survey teams, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in preliminary analysis, project administration and financial planning, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with local partners running the programs being evaluated.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The incumbent should implement Computer Assisted Interviewing (CAI) for surveys
• Develop and pilot survey instruments; manage translation into local languages
• Responsible for overseeing data entry and render support in data cleaning and analysis
• Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits
• Manage and conduct analysis on large database of administrative data
• Build and strengthen critical high-level relationships with partner organizations
• Participate in meetings with key stakeholders and present research findings
• Write reports detailing research findings and proposed interventions
• Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
• Oversee funding and human subjects’ approval applications, and ensure that all necessary approvals are in place
• Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Research Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant should hold a good bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields required, Masters preferred
• Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
• Experience living and working in a developing country is a strong plus
• Fluency in English with strong communication skills
• Working knowledge and experience working with STATA;
• The applicant should have a good understanding and familiarity with randomized controlled trials
• Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
• Proven ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
How to Apply:
Please complete the Online application at J-PAL/IPA common application. Please select the position(s) you are interested in applying for on the ‘Submit Application’ page. Please include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. We will consider your application even if you are unable to obtain reference letters before the deadline, but please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by email for interviews.