Manager, MLIS-Data Innovation, Accountability & Learning Job At Evidence Action
We are looking for an individual who has strong monitoring and evaluation background and is passionate about the use of data for Programmatic decision making. A successful candidate will work with MLIS management team and the regional Program leadership to promote and facilitate data-based decision making across our Programs.
Manager, MLIS-Data Innovation, Accountability & Learning Job Responsibilities
Support Monitoring and Evaluation Design and Implementation:
- Support the MLIS’ monitoring design team to design and set up framework for the monitoring and analysis of key performance indicators for the Evidence Action Programs.
- Work closely with MLIS departments to access leading international thinking to develop useable and relevant M&E frameworks for Evidence Action Programs.
- Constantly review and contribute towards our M&E planning documents, including reviewing our various M&E methodologies, with a view of maintaining high quality M&E practices.
- Identify qualitative data collection needs and address them with the aim of achieving two qualitative data collection efforts for DSW Kenya per year.
- Review capacity for secondary research and propose structured systems and tools for developing and systems this service within MLIS
- Coordinate and sometimes take lead on ad hoc field research projects, as need may arise.
Capture and share key learning and performance information across Programs
- Create standard M&E and lessons learned presentations for interactive meetings with Evidence Action Programs, and which can be used for stakeholder meetings.
- Identify and take advantage of various platforms to represent MLIS and Evidence Action on the regional and global stage as far as data and evidence is concerned, with a view of increasing/promoting data transparency into our work.
- Publish MLIS newsletter on a monthly basis, and making contributions towards other regional and global internal and external publications.
Facilitate Program Engagements with MLIS
- Conduct regular planning meetings with program leads to identify MLIS requirements lead in program-MLIS M&E ‘diagnostic’ i.e. understanding program need for data and translating that back to the MLIS team and seeking out learnings for the program both from the program verticals and functional horizontals in the matrix.
- Develop and strengthen tools and platforms through Programs can make requests for MLIS products and services, and promote culture and spirit of collaboration on the MLIS team and with the Programs, including managing and enhancing tools of collaboration (eg Asana, Box, Team Calendar, Mailing Lists, etc).
- Support Programs with periodic donor reports, including coordinating data inputs from MLIS to be included in the reports.
Lead on the delivery of innovative data solution, including managing the Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Position the internal Management Information System (internally referred to as ProgMIS) as the key internal, innovative data learning and sharing platform.
- Facilitate and promote the engagement of Programs with ProgMIS, including making the platform both useful and usable, onboarding new Program staff to the platform, creating incentives for the use of the platform, constantly soliciting feedback and providing support to Program users.
- Take the lead on further development, modification and improvement of the existing modules, including designing data visualization templates to increase access to and usability of the data.
- Develop and maintain high quality data flow systems that will ensure efficient (timely and high quality) data flow from the data collection team, to the data management team, to the Management Information System team.
- Proactively support the Global Communication team in the development, improvement and maintenance of the organization data dashboards.
- Research, Identify, Promote and facilitate the scaling up of proven M&E tools and approaches (data innovation):
- Develop practical guidelines for identifying areas that require “data innovation”, working through long list of possible solution and piloting/evaluating selected short list of potential/promising solutions.
- Collaborate with the other MLIS departments to review current data collection methods/processes and tools for efficiency and effectiveness
Manage DIAL Team, Collaborators and Vendors
- Recruit, train and directly manage a team of 3 to 6.
- Support with the recruitment and management of external MLIS consultants and vendors, as needed.
- Directly collaborate with other MLIS departments in the delivery of key MLIS outcomes, including ensuring that MLIS departments are well informed of key monitoring needs and changes from the regional program.
- Directly lead professional development of M&E skills and expertise for the entire MLIS team, by facilitating periodic M&E workshops, identifying learning platforms for the team eg identifying and managing appropriate M&E subscriptions.
- As needed, act as the point person in our collaboration efforts with partners (other organizations or institutions) across the Africa region
Qualifications For Manager, MLIS-Data Innovation, Accountability & Learning Job
- Excellent at deriving information from data and translating it to excellent write-ups, presentations and recommendations – to both data savvy and non-data savvy audience. Strong bias towards excellent data visualization skills.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in economics, statistics or related social sciences
- A minimum of 3 years of experience including 2+ managing a team of researchers/analysts
- Strong familiarity with a range of data processing, statistical, and geospatial software packages such as Stata,
- Excel, R, CSPro, Open Data Kit, ArcGIS, QGIS etc. with the ability to discover, learn apply new technologies that increase the efficiency of data analysis and learnings
- Interest in applying research, evidence and data-driven decision making to large-scale Programs with an appreciation for practical and logistical constraints
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Ability to think strategically and critically, and to bring imagination to solving problems with substantial complexity and ambiguity
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders around the globe, including senior policymakers
- Action-oriented, flexible approach, self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
- Willingness to travel as needed to support Evidence Action Programs
Senior Associate – Data Innovation, Accountability and Learning
Senior Associate – Management Information Systems
How to Apply