Reference Number: DM-230617
Category: Statistics and Data Management
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:(6 months position) To support and develop data capture, data quality and data analysis routines as part of a programme of work with hospitals around the country. The work will involve use of REDCap and other data collection applications in multiple sites within Kenya; support of sites operating using LINUX and synchronisation with a LINUX server; use of the statistical software package R and its related interface function R studio; work with DHIS2 and interaction with providers of electronic medical record systems in Kenya including Open MRS to foster harmonization of data collection.
REPORTS TO: Senior Researcher and Senior/ Data Manager
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: None
INDIRECTLY SUPERVISES: None
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY: Some responsibility for ICT hardware maintenance to support data collection and planning for updates / additions
- For the Health Services Research Group and linked with the KEMRI-WTRP ICT Department to:
- Design and develop adaptations to / programming enhancements to REDCap and participate in the REDCap user group and other forums to understand the latest developments including the possible use of phone/tablet based data capture
- Support updates to and use of LINUX operating system across a distributed set of sites and data management in a LINUX server
- Support and improve strategies for updating REDCap and transmitting data in remote locations
- Help develop strategies using R to improve data quality and perform data analysis routines that can be incorporated into routine reports
- Develop interactive interfaces that support data queries using R Studio
- Develop approaches to support data transfer for hospitals that are compatible with the Ministry of Health’s DHIS2 platform
- Participate in the collection, processing, and compilation of study data.
- Provide support in training of data collection teams including developing training materials, preparation of hardware / software, training schedules and conducting training.
- Provide ongoing support to hospitals across the country to ensure accurate and timely data collection
- Liaison with companies / groups who are developing electronic medical records to foster harmonization of key data across EMR platforms
- Maintain study databases as required including ensuring regular updates, cleaning, backups and archiving and ensure all related records and reports are handled and managed in line with data governance protocols.
- Ensure compliance with programme ICT policies that span data storage, description, security etc across the research team
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Degree in Computer Science / ICT with relevant experience and demonstrated skills related to work areas
- At least 2 years of technical work experience in PHP, Java, MySQL, LINUX and related Open Source Technologies.
- Database design and software development experience.
- Knowledge of computer languages, computer logic and flow-charting and computer program design methods and techniques.
- Understanding of database structure, process of data quality assurance and data cleaning
- Expert knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software system and of writing and editing program documentation.
- Experience of managing metadata and version control of database systems
- Experience with report writing for data quality
- Experience with DHIS 2, REDCap or Open MRS
- Experience with LINUX operating systems and server management
- Understanding of the statistical programme R and experience with R Studio
- Prior work related to health care
- Prior work with Electronic Medical Records
- Experience with Linux server environments
- Solid understanding and experience with MySQL, PHP, Java. Knowledge on Python would be an added advantage.
- Understanding of database design and maintenance, quality control and data cleaning
- Appreciation of the use of data for routine reporting
- Well-developed troubleshooting capacity and clarity of thought
- Have high energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethics
- Strong organisation skills with the ability to prioritise workloads and work within tight deadlines
- Excellent customer support and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment and to multi-task
- Ability to interact with users/ office colleagues in simple non-technical language
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written)
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and with multi-disciplinary teams