VN No: IOMKE/SVN/069/2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: 6 months Special Short Term Contract, with possibility of extension.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of IOM Kenya Country Office, and under direct supervision of the Information Management (IM) Officer, the Database Developer/Programmer will perform the following
Database Developer Job Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop data collection tools most suitable for the operations in accordance with the missions data collection methodology;
- Assist in development and maintenance of databases and ensure regular proper data collection for mission;
- Prepare a technical documentation, quality control mechanism and prepare the end user’s manual and procedures;
- Prepare and conduct training;
- Deploy the tool and provide technical and users support;
- Support in analysis of data to produce statistics and progress reports for internal use, donors and other stakeholders;
- Verify data received by implementing partners and programme staff in the mission;
- Data entry when necessary;
- Perform any other duties that might be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience for Database Developer Job
- University Degree in Computer Science or, alternatively, and equivalent combination of related education and professional experience with three years’ experience, or
- Completed High School/Certificate with five years’ experience.
- Two years of work experience in database development.
- Experience in managing data collection, entry and maintenance.
- Experience in managing or developing client relationships, databases (particularly ODK) is advantaged.
- Experience in product development, project management.
- Experience with the following technologies: Windows 8, 10 operating systems; client/server hardware and software; input/output technology, digitizing equipment, internet services and related technologies.
- Experience in using SQL queries and T-SQL programming.
- Experience in using Microsoft Visual Studio (ASP.NET in C#), Microsoft Access.
- Experience in developing and deploying Open Data Kit (ODK).
- Languages: English and Kiswahili (Fluent)
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to: International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 55040,00200, Nairobi, Kenya or send via e-mail to [email protected] Closing Date: 29 September 2016