Xavier Project is an international NGO working Kenya and Uganda. We aim to provide opportunities to refugees living in urban areas in Kenya and Uganda who are otherwise excluded from the means to live a fulfilled and dignified existence so that they will be able to take back control of their lives and make a positive change whether to their new communities or to their country of origin.
Job Description and Expectations
Xavier Project is partnering with UNICEF to provide access to education to out of school children of primary school going age across Nairobi and Mombasa Counties. Through the partnership, we hope to provide access to education to over 7,000 out of school children and retain them in school. The Education Officer will support these schools in raising funds from local and international donors to cater for various school projects. The funds raised will be used to provide leverage for admission of identified out of school children and will directly support the schools. Note that this job does not involve raising funds for Xavier Project as an organisation but is more concerned with building the capacity of schools.
Xavier Project is looking for an Education Officer who will:
- Identify sources of income for government schools
- Continuously liaise with donors locally and internationally to keep them motivated to continue supporting the programme, either financially or through gifts in kind.
- Maintain updated records of donor information
- Take part in preparing fundraising proposals and budgets
- Record, monitor and report on financial progress
- Liaise with other education staff to identify schools in need of financial aid
- Participate in capacity building of Schools Board of Management on resource mobilization
The Education Officer will work in partnership with other agencies to ensure that resources are saved and collaboration is maximised. The Education Officer will work closely with the Xavier Project CEO Edmund Page who is a qualified teacher, and the Kenya Director of Education to develop good working practice.
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Extensive experience of not less than 5 years with demonstrated success in fundraising/resource mobilization.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and oral)
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to work sensitively with refugee population or demonstrated experience working with marginalised communities
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in managing budgets
- Willing to travel within Kenya
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Competent in Kiswahili
- Experience in managing people from various backgrounds
- Experience working in a tough environment with vulnerable people
- Advanced experience working in the Kenyan Education sector
- Experience in writing reports and strategies
- Experience in government and private sector engagement
- Strong understanding of the challenges faced by urban refugees and other marginalised communities
How to Apply
In place of the Cover letter, interested candidates should send their responses to the following questions a long side their CV to [email protected] . Questions:
- Narrate your experience and achievements from your previous fundraising or resource mobilization engagements?
- What are your most original and creative contributions to current or last work place?
- In view of the context and requirements for this post, what are some of the techniques you will employ to meet your goals?
Note that responses to the above questions should be part of the email body. Applicants are urged to apply as soon as they can and not wait until the deadline of 17th May 2017 if possible. Candidates should use email title KENYA EDUCATION OFFICER . Please also include the names and contact details of two referees. Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on what we do please visit www.xavierproject.org Xavier Project is an equal opportunity employer and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability.