Design, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer Job in Kenya
Reference #: KE0006
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Introduction: You are curious, open to learning, and seek to stretch your M&E skills.
You are happiest coming up with new systems and improvements and work well with minimal supervision. You are able to see the big picture without losing touch of the details.
If this describes you, Hivos is looking for a Design Monitoring and Learning Officer to work with us based in the Hivos East Africa, Nairobi office.
You will support M&E activities for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes (at 40%) and provide overall organisational M&E support (at 60%).
Job Functions: Monitoring & Evaluation
Industries: NGO / Non-Profit
Voice & Kenya Media Programmes M&E Officer
Role Purpose: The M&E Programme Officer for the Voice & Kenya Media Programmes provides guidance and orientation to these two new programmes. The position reports to the respective Programme Managers.
- Establish an operational M&E system for these new programmes
- Implementation of M&E system for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes
- Oversee internal & external communication on M&E progress and results for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes
- Contribute to the quarterly and annual report for the Voice and Kenya Media Programmes
Hivos (EA & Global)
Role Purpose: The DMEL Officer shall lead the design & implementation of an operational monitoring and evaluation system for Hivos.
S/he provides Hivos with tools to effectively monitor progress and achievement, and to provide mid-term and end of project evaluations with sufficient information to assess Hivos’ successes as laid out in Strategic and Annual Plans.
The position reports to Director, Hub EA and designated MEL at Global Office.
1.Work with Global Team to establish an operational M&E system for Hivos: The DMEL will review M&E needs and establish practical procedures and measures to operationalise M&E needs and necessary practical procedures and measures in order to operationalise M&E (data collection and processing).
The DMEL is expected to design a practical M&E system with regard to the following key aspects:
a.What needs to be measured?
b.What is the most appropriate source of information that needs to be collected?
c.How to collect the information and how often?
d.How to store and analyse data?
One of the project’s activities is the establishment of Global M&E framework.
The current assignment should incorporate this activity into Hub EA’s M&E system and is meant to design and operationalise it.
The M&E system should include Open and Green Programmes as laid out in the annual plan.
The DMEL is not expected to operationalise and implement Open and Green M&E systems.
For this, the DMEL is expected to:-
- Study the relevant project documents, review and revise the results matrix, and revise the indicators if necessary.
- Review the M&E needs and plans of the project, and extract relevant indicators to monitor the project outputs listed above. The set of indicators to use needs to be simple and straightforward. The assessment should involve key project staff.
- Establish data collection and reporting forms for capturing quantitative and qualitative information.
- Based on the relevant indicators, help design relevant baseline surveys to avoid collecting redundant information.
- Identify sources of verification that Hivos can use. As much as possible, DMEL shall use existing data sources embedded in existing programmes.
- Design simple means of registering information.
- Design simple ways and means to store such information, and the pathways for dissemination of that information.
- Produce a manual that includes the above, and guides project coordination in processing and evaluating the information.
2.Implementation of M&E system for Hivos:
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation data collection activities
- Oversee data processing including data transfer entry, verification and cleaning
- Ensure forms are filed according to compliance protocols
- Conduct data assurance checks
- Oversee M&E database set up and management
- Lead preparation of evaluation and annual reports for Hub EA (ETR & annual Report)
- Provide other management and support to M&E team as needed.
- Oversee internal communication on M&E progress and results
- Ensure effective communication between M&E team, Communications Officer, Project Staff and other Hivos organizational units
- Prepare communications for stakeholders based on M&E data
4.Training and Guidance
- Mentor and build capacity of Programme Officers and others working on M&E
- Train data collection and other M&E staff as needed
- Manage M&E staff and consultants as directed by Director
Knowledge, competencies and experience
- Master’s Degree in Administration, Information Management, Project Management, or other relevant academic background (essential),
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (essential), background in a similar role (desirable)
- Well organised and able to keep deadlines. The job requires excellent time management skills and ability to juggle competing priorities.
- Good group leadership qualities and able to work in a multi-stakeholder environment;
- Strong analytical, conceptual skills and knowledge;
- Excellent communication (verbal and writing skills in English) and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to produce high-quality briefs and reports.
- Good level of proficiency in Windows Excel and quantitative analysis
- Experience in program design and M&E plan development
- Ability to design M&E tools, surveys, surveillance systems, and evaluations
- Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others
- Strong interpersonal skills and managerial capacity
- Experience in a non-governmental organization or donor setting (desirable).
Don’t Keep Share!:
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Job Closing Date: 20/10/2017