Open to Internal Candidates only
Position Title : Dispatcher/Messenger
Vacancy No IOMKE/SVN/087/2016
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G2
Type of Appointment : 6 Months Special Short Term Contract, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 November, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the general supervision of the Migration Health Physician (International) in MHAC Nairobi, the direct supervision of the Data Processing Assistant and in coordination with the Migration Health Processing Officer.
Responsibilities for the Messenger Job
- Dispatching of files and documents to/from MHAC and designated laboratory/hospital, maintaining due confidentiality.
- Providing clerical support in preparing various technical documents/lists, and photocopying medical reports and labeling mail/samples, etc.
- Assisting the Migration Health processing team other medical personnel in maintaining an organized flow of applicants throughout the health assessment process.
- Any other related duties, which may be assigned by the Migration Health processing team
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University degree from an accredited institution in Arts, Social Sciences or other related studies; or High school certificate and 2 years of relevant professional experience
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Prior experience in assisting with IOM migration health assessment operations or as a messenger with other agencies is required.
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations will be an added advantage
- Mature individual, able to work independently, effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
- Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Access
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability- Follows all relevant procedures, processes and policies
- Client Orientation- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous Learning- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Communication – Actively shares relevant information
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment (upon notification in writing to the candidate) and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to: International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, send via e-mail to [email protected]. Closing Date: 29 th November, 2016 Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.