Job Title: Districts Support Accountant
Organisation: Ministry of Local Government
Funding Source: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Project Name: Project for Restoration of Livelihoods in the Northern Region (PRELNOR)
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
The Government of the Republic of Uganda has received a loan and a grant from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to finance the Project for Restoration of Livelihoods in the Northern Region (PRELNOR), and intends to apply some of the proceeds to recruit staff to implement the project. PRELNOR will cover the districts of Adjumani, Agago, Amuru, Gulu, Lamwo, Kitgum, Nwoya and Pader.
About PRELNOR Project:
The overall goal of the PRELNOR is: Increased income, food security and reduced vulnerability of poor rural households in the project area. This will be through increased sustainable production, productivity and climate resilience of smallholder farmers with increased and profitable access to domestic and export markets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Districts Support Accountant will follow-up the districts and other implementing agencies for expenditure justifications
• Regularly review eligibility of expenditure in accordance with the financing agreement
• Routinely report on the operation of internal control including budget controls and report any deviations
• Prepare project reports to enable the withdrawal of funds from financers and manage the overall treasury/ cash flow planning aspects of the project.
• Assess compliance with Uganda laws and regulations governing the operation of the implementing institutions including accountancy standards and the requirements for audits and financial reporting.
• Regularly review external auditor’s reports (Audit Opinions and management letters); including any qualifications and whether any concerns raised by auditors have been adequately addressed.
• Review reports of IFAD/GoU supervision or review missions and follow-up on the implementation of agreed to actions.
• Keenly examine the financial management information provided to Project Coordinator, MoLG and IFAD, in terms of its adequacy and timeliness.
• Evaluate programme/project accounting procedures including the adequacy of financial reports in terms of accountability to multiple funding sources.
• Evaluate systems for asset management, provision for asset maintenance and replacement.
• Review documented accounting procedures and accounting manuals in terms of their adequacy, and correspondence between actual and documented procedures.
• Evaluate annual work plan and budgeting procedures, and budgetary control systems applied to monitor actual expenditures versus budget including commitment controls to avoid commitments beyond available resources.
• Review other aspects of the accounting and financial control systems including: cash management and banking; procurement of goods and services; advances and acquittals; authorisation of expenditure and budget/actual comparisons.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The Districts Support Accountant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or Business Administration majoring in accounting option from a recognised University / Institution, plus professional qualifications like ACCA or CPA.
• A minimum of five years of relevant work experience
• Working knowledge of work planning, budgeting and reporting;
• Excellent quantitative and analytical skills;
• Computer-literate including accounting packages and well-versed in the use of Excel, Word and basic database set-ups.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications accompanied with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic certificates, transcripts and testimonials including names and addresses of three referees to: Ag. Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Local Government, Worker’s House, 3rd Floor, P.O. Box 7037 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 14th August, 2015