Direct line manager: Base Log Admin
Line management of: N/A
Starting date:3rd January 2017
Ending date: 1 year contract renewable based on funding and performance.
Founded in 1979, ACF International (Action Against Hunger) is an International humanitarian organization that delivers programs in over 40 countries. Recognized worldwide as a leader in the fight against hunger, our mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. From crisis to sustainability, ACF tackles the underlying causes of malnutrition and its effects.
By integrating our programs with local and national systems, we further ensure that short-term interventions become long-term solutions. With Head Offices in France, the United Kingdom, Spain, the United States and Canada, our international network shares its combined resources, breadth of experience and technical expertise in pursuit of a world without hunger. ACF is present in Kenya since 2001. Currently the mission is implementing program activities in West Pokot, Isiolo Tana River, Bungoma, Busia, Kakamega and Trans Nzoia.
Driver Job Responsibilities
Transporting Staff and Goods Safely
- Receive, take care of goods and transport ACF employees according to the planned schedule or as directed by Capital Logistician,
- Load items in the car according to manufacturer recommendations,
- Ensure passengers on board wear safety belts at all times during the trip,
- Ensure that only authorized personnel are allowed on board,
- Possess all necessary driver’s documentation – driving license, ACF ID card at all times when driving ACF vehicles,
- Check the validity of vehicle documentation and keep records in respect to vehicle licenses renewal, appropriate inspections and insurance, inform Capital logistician in good time to renew documents about to expire (2 months minimum)
- Respect Kenyan traffic rules and regulation e.g. wearing seat belts,
- Respect ACF standard operating procedures for vehicles including communication schedule,
- Maintain ACF speed limits, adjusting the speed to the road and risk conditions, in particular the speed mustn’t exceed 40km/hr in villages or busy town areas,
- Ensure offloading of goods, working tools and equipment from the vehicle when required,
- Maintain daily vehicle fuel intake and logbook trip records,
- Report any accidents immediately to the nearest police station for purpose of insurance and to the base log Admin,
- Ensure that the First-Aid box is available in the vehicle and well equipped at all times,
- Track movement of goods from Capital to base and ensure they arrive in good condition,
- Assist in verification and loading of goods and materials with suppliers for field offices during bulk procurements.
- Maintain project vehicle in good condition, engine check-up, regular checks of fluid levels and the tyres which are to be conducted on a daily basis (refer to Log book for morning checks),
- Ensure general cleanliness of the inside and outside of the vehicle,
- Perform pre-departure checklist as indicated on the logbook,
- Report any minor technical problem to the Base log Adm. Record it in the log book and fill maintenance and repair card for each work plan or done on the vehicles.
- Prepare the fuel reload calculations for the Field Fleet and forward to the base log Admin for consolidation.
- Update the vehicle files and ensure all paperwork and filing is in order and up to date
- Maintain a service database for all fleet at Western region and advice base log Admin on various aspects regarding the fleet e.g. service dates, spare parts.
- Organize for repairs to the office when need arises
- Liaise with base log Admin to ensure the office meets health and safety requirements and that facilities comply with legislation
- Planning best allocation and utilization of office space and resources or re-organizing current premises
- Liaise with base log Admin to ensure office inventory up to date
Qualifications for the Driver Job
- Be in possession of a valid driving license class BCE
- At least 5 years of experience in similar position
- Good Command of English Language
- Strong personality to deal with multicultural staff at all levels
- Self-motivated person who takes initiative
- Must be a team player
- Experience working with an NGO is an added advantage.
- Have mechanical knowledge (optional)
- Knowledge and/or previous experience in store management
- Certificate in Storekeeping
- Good knowledge of Nairobi area and Western Kenya region
- Keep all documents up to date (Log books, maintenance plan, insurance and other inspections…)
- Report any security information
- Weekly and monthly stock report Ad-hoc reports (assessments reports, newsletter…)
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward their applications including a cover letter, curriculum vitae and telephone contacts and email addresses of 3 referees preferably former/current supervisors (certificates will be required later on in the recruitment process) to [email protected]. Deadline for receiving applications is 11th December 2016. Position opened to Kenyan Nationals only.