Job Title: Driver/Mechanic
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Procurement & Logistics Coordinator
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Driver/Mechanic will ensure the safety of the passengers and the flawless condition of the vehicle at all times.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will report any accident immediately to Logistics Office and to the nearest police station for the purpose of insurance claims, and to the logistics department.
- Advise and/or assist the Logistics Officer on the needed maintenance for both motor-vehicles for the smooth program support.
- Ensures that vehicles are in good mechanical conditions by doing daily check on the Vehicles.
- Testing out motor vehicles so as to see if they are roadworthy and find any faults.
- Accurately estimating the time, cost and materials needed for any repair work
- Test driving cars after they have been repaired to ensure they are safe to drive
- Going through a checklist to ensure that all key mechanical work has been done.
- Perform minor mechanical repairs on DRC cars
- Drive the assigned vehicle in a correct and sensible manner in adherence to this job description, weather and road conditions at all times. The driver should be in possession of all necessary documentation (driving license, personal identification, and order of mission as applicable) and vehicle documentation and always adhere to the maximum speed limits for DRC vehicles – 50km/h on a dirt road, 100km/h on a tarmac. When the road conditions are poor, drive as slowly as necessary to facilitate safe passage to the passengers and ensure no damage to the vehicle.
- Provide overall maintenance services to the assigned vehicle or any other DRC vehicle in coordination with the car owner. This includes minor repairs of vehicles and vehicle equipment.
- Maintain and update all transport records including vehicle logbooks, maintenance and service records in coordination with the Logistics Officer.
- Maintain the vehicle and the vehicle equipment in perfect shape and report any issues with regards to repairs, need for re-supply or damages, to the Logistics Officer.
- Report the need to top up fuel card when balance is 500,000/=.
- Perform any other vehicle logistics related task instructed by the Logistics Officer or Country Procurement & Logistics Coordinator.
- Perform the Vehicle morning checkup before any move movement to the field
- To ensure that vehicles’ interior and exterior are kept clean and tidy at all times
- Report vehicle service need on a service job card at least 300km before final service mileage
- Ensure to maintain all the vehicle safety kits assigned to the vehicle and report immediately any loss or damage to the equipment
- Ensure time sheets are prepared and submitted in time to the Logistics Officer for approval by the last day of every month.
- Perform any other vehicle logistics related task as instructed by the Logistics Officer or Country Logistics and Procurement Coordinator.
- Where appropriate, maintain the vehicle communications (HF, VHF) in accordance with the call signs, terminology and radio discipline provided by DRC. Report any non-functioning communications equipment to Logistics Officer. Stop the car before answering to the mobile phone or reduce speed to 30 km/hour when security conditions do not permit stoppage
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Driver/Mechanic job opportunity must hold a Diploma in Motor Vehicle Mechanics.
- A minimum of three years’ experience preferably working in a busy organization INGO environment.
- Excellent communication in English and Knowledge of other local Languages in areas where DRC is currently operating.
- Proven skills in Motor vehicle mechanics
- Experience of working in challenging environments.
- Teamwork spirit and flexibility when applicable.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all level
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
- Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
Please send your cover letter, updated CV and academic certificates by email to [email protected]
Deadline: 18th December 2016