Job Title: Policy Officer Reproductive Health and Rights
Organization: Netherlands Embassy
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: First Secretary Rule of Law and Political Affairs
The Netherlands Embassy in Kampala is the diplomatic mission for the Kingdom of the Netherlands which supports development cooperation strategy in Uganda and has developed a focus in reproductive health and rights. Reproductive Health & Rights (RHR) is a new strategic focal area of the Embassy. The demographic challenges of Uganda require concerted efforts to reduce the fertility rate. Therefore, RHR and FP will be addressed from a more comprehensive perspective.
Job Summary: The Policy Officer Reproductive Health and Rights will serve as a member of the Embassy’s Rule of Law Cluster consisting of the First Secretary Rule of Law and the local Senior Policy Officer Rule of Law. The incumbent will take the initiative to develop new policies and advocate and defend them where appropriate. These policies should be able to be put into concrete actions to actively promote gender mainstreaming and integration of RHR-elements in food security, rule of law and the transition agenda of the Embassy. The Policy Officer will, therefore, be the focal point of the Embassy for the RHR agenda of the Great Lakes Multi-Annual Strategic Plan of the Embassy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Regularly review, analyse and report on national policies, strategies, trends and developments in the field of RHR/FP and gender and identify issues relevant to the Dutch cooperation and support.
• Work closely with colleagues in the Embassy and in The Hague on relevant developments and provide them with information from the field on RHR and gender;
• Significantly contribute to the RHR/FP and gender policy discussions and reviews; identify and suggest actions to strengthen implementation.
• Actively promote and support inclusion of SRHR-elements in work and program of the Embassy (Food Security; Private Sector Development; Rule of Law; Economic activities).
• Actively monitor and document gender mainstreaming in Food Security, Rule of Law, Private sector development and economic activities of the Embassy.
• Prepare social media messages on best practices, challenges and trends/developments;
• Support in developing, assessing, managing and monitoring projects and programs on RHR/FP and gender.
• Actively promote the Dutch policy priorities in donor meetings and in consultations with government and civil society. Monitor developments and activities in support of the fight against gender based violence;
• Offer technical support to or replace other thematic experts during absence when necessary;
• Develop and maintain transparent and honest communication and relationships with stakeholders;
• Make field visits in support of the above-mentioned duties.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate for the Dutch Embassy job should hold a good University degree in Health, Law, or Social Sciences
• At least five years of related experience in Reproductive Health and Rights (RHR) and Family Planning (FP)
• Working knowledge and understanding of SRHR, family planning and gender.
• Excellent command of both written and spoken English.
• Excellent communication and networking skills
• Willingness and ability to travel extensively
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and cover letters via E-mail to this E-mail address, email@example.com. Attachments that fill more than 2MB will not be considered. Clearly mark in subject field: “EKN- RHR”
Deadline: 20th September 2015 by 5:00PM