Job Title: Registry Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10019367
Vacancy Notice: 005/2017
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Associate Protection Officer
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Registry Assistant will provide clerical assistance to the immediate supervisor to ensure proper recording of all incoming and outgoing correspondence as well as maintenance of central files and records within the office. The incumbent will receive regular guidance and instructions from his/her supervisor. As per specific instructions, the incumbent may require liaising with other internal or external entities, to ensure effective delivery of services and achievement of objectives. The nature of certain tasks requires discretion and confidentiality as per UNHCR standards and practices. The incumbent workload and the assignments will remain under constant scrutiny and direction of the supervisor
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will also receive record and forward incoming correspondence and manage its proper distribution to the responsible officer.
- Work closely with external contacts following up on official documentation with Government, Embassies and Consulates to ensure proper delivery of documents and timely action.
- Ensure dispatch of outgoing mail to respective destinations through courier services or other means of dispatch.
- Draft routine correspondence, and respond to queries relating to area of responsibility.
- Ensure that an orderly and systematic filing system is maintained in Registry for efficient and timely retrieval of files.
- Ensure the general maintenance and smooth running of the Registry, i.e. physical arrangement, cleanliness and security.
- May be required to provide clerical and administrative support by stocking and supplying stationery, receive and dispatch of external and internal office pouches and handle all official documentation.
- Operate office equipment such as photocopiers and computers.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Key Result Areas:
- Incoming correspondence is recorded and distributed to responsible officers.
- Outgoing correspondence is promptly dispatched.
- Office records are organized, stored, disposed, preserved, protected and accessed according to UNCHR Records and Archives procedures and guidelines in the established recordkeeping systems and facilities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Registry Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school.
- At least five years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Good computer skills (MS office).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 7th February, 2017