Job Summary: Economist
Organisation: Parliamentary Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Economist
Job Reference: REF 2/15
The Parliamentary Commission of Uganda serves the following functions;
• Appoint, promote and exercise disciplinary control over persons holding public office in Parliament;
• Review the terms and conditions of service, standing orders, training and qualifications of persons holding office in Parliament;
• Provide a Parliamentary reporting service;
• Provide such other staff and facilities as are required to ensure efficient functioning of the Parliament;
• To cause to be prepared in each financial year, estimates of revenue and expenditure for the next financial year; and
• Make recommendations to Parliament, or with the approval of Parliament, determine the allowances payable and privileges available to the Speaker and Members of Parliament.
Job Summary: The Economist will be in charge of collecting, processing and analyzing economic and budget information.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The incumbent will collect all data related to government revenue, expenditure and deficit;
• Gather all information on economic and social policies on the Financial and Monetary sectors of the economy;
• Carry out analytical and policy studies to inform Parliament on the status of the economy;
• Estimate costs and revenues associated with proposed legislation;
• Support Parliament and its Committees in utilizing economic and budget performance measurement indicators during oversight meetings;
• Prepare regular publications on key macroeconomic and budget indicators;
• Support the existence and operations of a budgetary and socioeconomic data bank at Parliament Budget Office;
• Collect and analyze the impact of public policy on macroeconomic variables including but not limited to price indices, exchange rates, lending rates etc.;
• Support Committees of Parliament in implementing work plans;
• Prepare and send periodic performance reports of Parliament Budget Office; and
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant should hold an Honour’s Bachelor’s Degree in Economics or Statistics or Quantitative Economics, from a recognized university. A strong mathematical or statistical background (with a principal pass in Mathematics obtained at A-level) is essential for the job.
• Excellent public sector, macroeconomic, financial and social analytical skills;
• Excellent econometrics skills;
• Excellent policy formulation and analytical skills;
• Good research and Monitoring and Evaluation skills
• Information Systems Design & Operations Skills;
• Practical skills in economic and statistical computer packages;
• A team player and working with minimum supervision;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills.
• Age: 21 years and above
How to Apply:
All applications should be addressed to the Secretary, Parliamentary Commission, P.O Box 7178 Kampala, Uganda via post or hand deliver them to the Parliamentary Registry, Room No. 112, 1st Floor, South Wing, Parliament of Uganda.
All applicants should endeavor to attach recent passport size photographs, Curriculum Vitae. Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts and indicate two (2) competent referees.
Serving Officers in Government institutions should route their applications through their respective Heads of Departments.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Deadline: Friday, 23rd October, 2015 by 5:00 p.m.