Education Effect Africa (EEA) is a Kenyan non-governmental organization focused on providing children living in marginalized areas with high quality education. Since our inception in 2013, Education Effect Africa has been working with disadvantaged communities living in informal settlements of Nairobi and rural areas of Central, Western and Nyanza regions of Kenya.
Education Effect Africa has secured funding for the implementation of the Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE) 2017 project between May and December 2017.
The main objective of the project is to increase access to high quality early childhood education that stimulates physical, emotional and psycho- social development and promotes holistic care of children living in the informal settlements of Mathare.
The project targets 5 public schools and their communities in Mathare Sub County, Nairobi City County.
Education Effect Africa is actively seeking a qualified and experienced Project Officer who will be responsible for the successful implementation of Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE) project in Mathare Sub County, Nairobi City County.
Project Officer Job Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the overall responsibility of the Project Officer will be to provide project management and technical support to the project team. The Project Officer will be tasked with:
Designing and planning project activities
- Developing project work plans and schedules
Establishing and maintaining collaboration with stakeholders
- Establishing and maintaining contact with project partner schools.
- Developing good working relationships, building capacity of and collaboration between various management organs of partner schools such as board of governors, school health committees, school management committees and parent teachers association in addressing the objectives of the assigned project.
- Preparing and disseminating formal correspondence, including drafting of correspondence on project related issues
Collaborating with local offices of the Ministry of Education, other relevant ministries, local authorities such as
- area chief, village elders in ensuring buy in of the project in the project area
- Mobilizing the community of the project area in undertaking interventions towards projects’ objectives and fostering community contribution to the projects.
- Represent EEA at meetings, events, conferences, etc. with the relevant departments of Government Ministries and other stakeholders.
Coordination of assigned projects
- Day to day oversight of construction works and supervision of contractors in close coordination with the Project Engineer.
- Providing logistical support during trainings, follow up meetings and other events organized by EEA.
- Providing professional guidance and follow up of participants after trainings.
- Coordinating the work of consultants and other field staff.
- Facilitating the procurement process of recruiting local contractors and vendors including preparation of requests for quotations, invitation for bids or requests for proposals from the market.
- Daily coordination of procurement and delivery of material to field sites.
- Arrangement of travel and hotel reservations for project team.
- Ensure adherence to EEA procurement policies and guidelines.
Maintain high quality documentation throughout the project life
- Preparing, disseminating and compiling of necessary project templates and documents.
- Ensuring timely filing of project documentation (both physical and electronic).
- Maintain a registry of project-related correspondence and progress as well as technical reports.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Assist in tracking, monitoring and evaluation of project status and related documentation.
- Compile, summarize and enter data on the project, draft related status reports.
Carry out other relevant duties as assigned by the CEO
Requirements for the Project Officer Job
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in project management, community development, early childhood education or related field.
- Minimum of one year proven experience in project delivery in non-governmental organizations, preferably those working in the education sector.
- Proven work experience in managing construction works in donor funded projects. Work experience in implementing ECDE projects will be an asset
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili. Good report writing skills is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word-processing, e-mail, Excel)
Willingness and readiness to work in informal settlements of Nairobi
- Female applicants who are residents of Nairobi will be given priority and are encouraged to apply.
Contract and Level of Involvement
- Full time contract from 15th June– 31st December 2017. The contract is inclusive of 1 month probation period.
- The contract is subject to extension depending on the performance of the successful candidate and availability of funds.
- Project Officer will be based in our offices in Mathare Sub-County, Nairobi County.
How to Apply
All application letters together with detailed CVs including names of three referees and expected remuneration for the above advertised assignment should be addressed to The CEO, Education Effect Africa, P.O. Box 52199-00100, Nairobi and sent by email to [email protected] not later than 11th June 2017.
Please indicate clearly on the subject line of the email the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from Education Effect Africa after 15th June 2017.